SVP, Government Relations Public Affairs
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
California Life Sciences (CLS) is seeking a Senior Vice President, Government Relations and Public Affairs with extensive experience in directing integrated government affairs, advocacy, communications, and advocacy issue campaigns at the Federal and State level. This role will travel between Washington, DC and California and will be responsible for leading CLS’s state and federal government relations, advocacy, and policy teams. The Senior Vice President, Government Relations and Public Affairs will be expected to function as the strategic leader of an integrated program, developing and guiding the planning and implementation of CLS’s outreach to public officials, coalition building, and communications – including traditional and digital media.Responsibilities
- Works effectively with the CLS board, leadership and members to create and implement a unified state and federal strategy for the organization as well as the public policy agenda.
- Initiates, cultivates and maintains strong working relationships with member companies, elected officials, executive branch personnel, and policy staff.
- Public Affairs: In partnership with federal, state and local government affairs leadership, develop, implement and manage comprehensive programs for all significant public policy and/or legislative affairs initiatives.
- Identify, develop and advocate policies to promote the growth of California’s life sciences sector. Design and implement strategies and operational plans to influence outcomes of key issues.
- Aligns priorities and strategies and coordinates activities with other industry associations such as BIO, PhRMA, AdvaMed, and BIOCOM.
- Exhibits CLS values and leads, develops and sets the vision and strategic plan for CLS’s government relations, policy, advocacy, and communication teams.
- Acts as lead CLS spokesperson on Government Relations/Policy Issues
- Works with senior leadership and VP of Stage Government Relations to craft CLSA’s public messaging on all public policy issues
- Manage coalition development with other life sciences trade associations, industry stakeholders and legislative offices on matters of advocacy communications.
- Develops and leads a high-functioning team.
- Demonstrates the full value of CLS to our community to expand membership, grow revenue and deepen our impact.
- Represents CLS at key events, with the media, and in government meetings.
- BA required; MA or MS preferred in a related field.
- Proven leader with experience developing, directing, and implementing strategic, multi-dimensional state and/or federal issue campaigns.
- Demonstrated ability to set a vision and strategic plan for an integrated government relations, policy, advocacy, and communications operation
- Minimum 10 years of government relations, advocacy, or public affairs experience required. Political or issue campaign experience is preferred. Healthcare industry experience is a plus
- Minimum 5 years of experience leading multifunctional teams and professional level employees.
- Ability to develop creative and strategic messaging and communication plans, both internally and externally
- Experience building and maintaining executive level relationships with member and partner organizations
- Ability to motivate and inspire internal teams and lead organizational change efforts
- Strong negotiation skills required
- Experience building and managing a budget
- Demonstrated record of sound political judgment and bipartisanship
- Must be able to stand, sit, talk, listen, and respond for an extended period
- Must be able to operate a computer, telephone, and keyboard (or similar communication methods) for an extended period
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination (or provide appropriate medical or religious exemption documentation)
- May be required to lift/push/pull up to 40 pounds
California Life Sciences
Get fresh VP Government Relations jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.