Title: Director of Finance and HR
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Employment Type: Part-Time (20 hours)
Position Location: Oakland, possibly remote (portion), and occasional travel
The California League of Conservation Voters (CLCV) works to accelerate climate action by transforming our political system. CLCV believes radical change is necessary to prepare communities for the future, which starts with building democracy, electing environmental champions, pushing bold policy change. CLCV makes government, policy, and voting accessible through organizing, education, and advocacy. We’re in the business of changing what is possible — learn more at www.ecovote.org.
CLCV Education Fund, CLCV’s 501(c)3 sister organization, works through programs focused on voter engagement and mobilization, issue advocacy, legislative accountability, and research and opinion polling to provide the public, policymakers, and environmental advocates with the resources they need to make California’s air, water and natural resources cleaner and greener through the democratic process. For more information, please visit www.clcvedfund.org.
The work of CLCV and CLCV Ed Fund to protect and advocate for the environment is rooted in our commitment to racial, social, and environmental justice. Engaging black, indigenous, and people of color, among other key constituencies for the environment is an organizational priority. Within the organization, we aim to create a workplace culture and policies and practices that demonstrate how we value equity and inclusion.
The Director of Finance and HR is the senior financial and human resources leader for the CLCV- a 501 (c) 4 political advocacy organization and the CLCV Education Fund- a 501 (c) 3 educational nonprofit organization. The Director of Finance and HR will be a strategic thought-partner, and report to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The successful candidate will work collaboratively with other directors, teams, the board, one direct report (the Accounting & HR Manager), and the organizations’ accounting and bookkeeping consultants to ensure the sustainability and financial health of the organizations through strong finance, planning and budgeting, controls and compliance and human resources leadership.
The Director of Finance and HR will play a critical role in partnering with the senior leadership team in strategic decision making and operations as our organizations plan and implement a strategy for growth, while enhancing the quality of our programming, supporting talent recruitment and retention, and building capacity. This is a tremendous opportunity for a finance and human resources leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, high-impact organization.
• Directs, supervises, reviews and evaluates the work of one direct report, the Accounting & HR Manager, while working closely together to successfully fulfill the duties of the Finance/Accounting/Human Resources functions.
• Provides thoughtful support, development opportunities, and leadership to the Accounting & HR Manager.
Finance and Accounting
• Ensures compliance with GAAP, organizational policies, and federal/state tax requirements.
• Monitors and manages cash forecast and cash activities
• Establishes the guidelines and procedures of the annual budget and mid-year forecasting processes. Oversees the preparation and provides the final review of budgets/forecasts.
• Reviews, analyzes, and reports out monthly revenue and expense, variance analyses (from budget and prior year), balance sheets and cash forecasts. Provides thoughtful commentary for Management’s and the Board’s use in understanding the financial results.
• Oversees grant tracking, allocation, and reporting in partnership with the Accounting & HR Manager, and Program and Philanthropy staff.
• Provides oversight of the annual audit process and the preparation of the annual tax returns and filings.
• Maintains and updates accounting policies, procedures, and internal controls.
• Cultivates strong lines of communication with other departments, including ensuring compliance around all electoral activity and PAC activities in partnership with the organizations’ outside counsel and reporting consultants.
• Supports the Board of Director’s finance and audit committees, including developing and presenting board reports.
• Performs special Finance projects and other duties and tasks as assigned by the CEO.
• Oversees all human resources, benefits, and 401k administration functions.
• Further develops the organization’s human resources and talent management, including enhancing professional development, performance evaluation, training, and recruiting.
• Performs special HR projects and other duties as assigned by the CEO.
• MBA/CPA, or equivalent experience
• At least eight years of overall professional experience; ideally six-plus years of broad financial and HR management experience
• Experience having final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for either a division or significant program area
• Ability to translate financial concepts to - and to effectively collaborate with - programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
• A track record in grants management
• Technology savvy with knowledge of accounting and reporting software
• Commitment to training programs that maximize individual and organization goals across the organization including best practices in human resources activities
• A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organizational and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
• Committed to the values and mission of CLCV and CLCV Ed Partners
• Teamwork oriented
• Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
• A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
• Experience with nonprofit accounting (501 (c) 4 and/or 501 (c) 3)
• Knowledge of QuickBooks and Raiser’s Edge databases
• Experience with PAC accounting and reporting
• Commitment to the mission of CLCV and CLCVEF
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in this highly respected organization. CLCV offers competitive salaries and a generous benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, and disability coverage; a 401(k) retirement program with employer match; discounted pre-tax Commuter Checks for public transit; flexible spending account (FSA) for health care expenses; and optional life insurance. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale.
Send a cover letter, resume, and tell us how you found this posting to CLCVJobs@ecovote.org. Please write “Director of Finance & HR” in the subject line. The position is open until filled. No phone calls please.
The California League of Conservation Voters and CLCV Education Fund are committed to equity, inclusion, and environmental justice. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we seek to create and sustain a team that reflects the diversity of the state we serve.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
We believe radical change is necessary.
Only by transforming our political system and electing environmental champions will we create the opportunity to take the bold action needed on climate change. Climate action is an urgent imperative and it’s our best chance to address injustice at scale, touching every part of our economy and infrastructure.
We know true change happens through relationships and personal experience.
Organizing, technology, media, and education are the tools we use to transform people’s relationship with our environment, our political system, and each other.
We inspire hope and action.
We elect and cultivate environmental champions, turn election victories into policy wins, hold our lawmakers accountable, and build political power for change. We fight for equity and justice - from voting rights to clean air and water - for all Californians. We make government, policy, and voting accessible.
We’re in the business of changing what is possible.