Support automation equipment runoff and ensure successful transfer of plant automation from engineering commissioning to operational ownership. Deploys strong technical systems processes and programs to ensure ongoing excellence without deterioration. Design, develops, recommends, implements production tooling and fixtures, equipment upgrades and replacements for automated equipment and systems. Analyzes current manufacturing processes to identify continuous improvement opportunities. Works with manufacturing on facility layouts to accommodate new and upgraded equipment and production lines to ensure the most efficient systems in throughput, material flow, etc. Assists in assembly, testing, debugging, and commissioning of models, prototypes, and production units.
Essential Job Functions and Accountabilities
- Investigates improvement potential in design, manufacturing and assembly of components or products
- Recommends and implements changes to improve performance (i.e. machine throughput, quality levels, delivery lead times, line takt time, etc.) and reduce overall plant costs
- Specifies and coordinates the development and fabrication of tooling, equipment, etc. to support continuous improvement initiatives
- Expedites design, system, and component delivery to meet project requirements
- Identifies and reports deviations from specifications, timing issues, and difficulties with meeting performance objectives
- Produces accurate documentation, operating procedures, and provides operator training for production tooling and equipment
- Conducts pre-installation site assessments and manages equipment utility installations
- Engages and provides constructive input during all design phases of automation and manufacturing equipment
- Heavily involved in commissioning of automation and manufacturing equipment, including debug, root cause analysis, problem solving and implementing sound solutions
- Reviews and understands detailed specifications and plans
- Prepares detailed designs according to specifications
- Produces project supportive documentation, i.e. drawings, schematics, layouts, etc. which comply with drawing procedures and other engineering controls
- Works closely with manufacturing staff and product engineering
- Generates project justification documentation
- Produces and manages project timelines, schedules, etc.
- Supports maintenance with information regarding installation, troubleshooting, and adjustments
- Calculates performance, outputs, limits, energy usage, etc.
- Always conscious of safety in all activities
- Estimated 5-10% travel to other facilities
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- A minimum of 5 years experience successfully implementing automated equipment and continuous improvement projects within a hands-on manufacturing environment
- Demonstrated ability and “hands-on” experience with troubleshooting automated assembly systems
- Knowledge of implementing pneumatic, hydraulic, motorized, and/or robotic systems for the use of in-house automated manufacturing and assembly systems
- Effective communication skills including technical writing
- Sound mechanical/manufacturing design capability (GD&T, CTF, CTP, DFM, etc.)
- Strong problem-solving capabilities using root cause analysis, etc.
- Understanding of Lean Manufacturing and SPC ideologies
- Knowledge of metal working, forming, stamping, etc. a plus
- Understanding the implementation of control systems, i.e. PLC’s, Servos, etc., in automation systems a plus
Educational & Certification Requirements
- Bachelor of Science in Manufacturing Engineering or related technical discipline
- Green and/or Black Belt certified in Six Sigma/Lean Manufacturing a plus
- 3D CAD Skills, preferably SolidWorks
- 2D CAD Skills, preferably DraftSight and/or AutoCAD
- Proficient in use of MS Office Suite
- Project Management Tools, Smartsheets, MS Project or equivalent
Caldwell Manufacturing has been in business since 1888! We offer a clean and collaborative work environment. Our full range of benefits includes including Health and Dental insurance, 401(k), profit sharing, vacation time and holiday pay, life insurance.
Why Work Here?CHECK OUT CALDWELL! Caldwell Manufacturing has been in business since 1888! We offer a clean and collaborative work environment. Our full range of benefits includes including Health and Dental insurance, 401(k), profit sharing, vacation time and holiday pay, life insurance.