CalWest's client school, Polytechnic School, is looking for an experienced and dynamic science teacher who will have the responsibility of teaching ninth-grade Integrated Science and 12th-grade Honors Physics. He or she will be joining a division that values collegiality, espouses the highest standards, and provides mutual support and collaboration. The successful candidate will take a student-centered approach to all school work and will use the school’s mission to design and support the academic, extracurricular, social, and emotional success of students.
This one-year position includes working collaboratively with the ninth-grade Integrated Science team and the 12th-grade Honors Physics team, as well as the Science Department as a whole. Collaboration includes weekly team meetings and frequent department meetings, as well as participation in divisional and all-school meetings. Other commitments to the broader life of the school may be required.
- Serve as an advisor;
- Preparation of course materials in collaboration with the Science Department, including syllabi, homework assignments, assessments, and supplementary materials;
- Administration and timely evaluation of class work, assignments, and assessments;
- Preparation and maintenance of student attendance records, grades, comments, and other required records;
- Providing assistance and advice to students during free periods and before and after school;
- Collaboration with members of the Science Department, the Upper School faculty, and the entire K-12 community;
- Regular participation in professional development opportunities to maintain and grow expertise in the subject matter;
- Enthusiastic participation in the greater life of the school, particularly extracurricular activities as an advisor or spectator and chaperon;
- Interest in fostering diversity, inclusion, and social justice to promote a healthy learning environment;
- Be knowledgeable in new trends and developments within science education;
- Be available to parents, students, administration, and colleagues outside the school day when needed;
- Willingness to take on other duties as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree; advanced degree(s) preferred;
- Three to five years of teaching experience;
- Experience working with adolescents;
- Ability to work with additional colleagues;
- Experience communicating with multiple constituencies.
Physical requirements and work environment
- Work primarily in a traditional climate-controlled classroom environment;
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 30 pounds.
This school is committed to attracting and retaining talented, dedicated employees through a competitive compensation plan that is commensurate with experience.
A full benefits package includes medical, dental and vision coverage, and a retirement plan.
Equal Opportunity Employer
In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, They will recruit, hire, train, and promote faculty and staff without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, genetic information, sexual orientation (including heterosexuality, homosexuality and bisexuality), national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, uniformed service member status, marital status, pregnancy, age, medical condition and physical or mental disability (whether perceived or actual), or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. School policy also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics. This policy governs all aspects of employment, including selection, job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, and access to benefits and training.
To be fully considered for this and all current and anticipated openings, we encourage you to upload your cover letter and resume to our website here: https://calwestlogin.com/apply?o=1698478c60d4ae8abbcebd775eaa148b (Current CalWest candidates need not apply here. Please email us at mysearch@CalWestEducators.com)
Please note: While we appreciate your interest, due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to respond to all applicants or give individual application status updates; candidates selected for an interview will be notified.