CalWest's client school, Bertschi School, is seeking an Elementary Science Specialist for the 2019-2020 school year. Bertschi School educates children to become compassionate, confident, and creative learners in a global community. They value integrity, inclusiveness, respect, and a commitment to renewable resources and sustainable practices.
Bertschi School believes that students learn best when they are
- safe and known in an inclusive community that values diverse perspectives
- supported in developing social-emotional skills
- provided choice and challenge at their “just right level”
- engaged in meaningful work
- encouraged to problem solve through inquiry, trial, and error
- empowered to take risks and make change
- given opportunities to collaborate and dialogue with a diverse groups of learners
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
Bertschi School values diversity and believes engaging our differences makes us better and stronger. We welcome and honor the unique contributions of people from all racial, ethnic, religious and socioeconomic backgrounds, gender identities, learning styles, physical abilities and sexual orientations. Our commitment to equity drives us to be inclusive and diverse in all areas of our school.
About Bertschi School
Bertschi School, founded in 1975, is a Washington State approved elementary school serving students in grades pre-kindergarten to fifth. We are an accredited member of the Pacific Northwest Association of Independent Schools (NWAIS) and the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS).
Position General Description
Bertschi School is seeking a progressive educator to lead the school’s science program beginning in August 2019. Bertschi’s science teacher will teach in our state of the art Living Building and continue to push the community’s growth in the area of science and sustainability. Working in collaboration with the school’s technology integration specialist, the science teacher will also continue the innovative and internationally recognized robotics program that is a hallmark of a Bertschi education.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in science or related field
- Master’s degree and teaching certificate preferred
- Demonstrated effectiveness as a science teacher with a minimum of four years of experience in a school science program
- Experience in curriculum development, collaborative planning, and team teaching
- In-depth knowledge of standards and innovative practices in elementary science education
- Proven commitment to environmental sustainability in practice and pedagogy
- Design and implement Bertschi’s science curriculum for students in first to fifth grade
- Partner and collaborate with the school’s technology integration specialist to teach robotics in first to fifth grade
- Lead the school’s Green Team, a group that takes on a school-wide projects to prevent waste at school, at home or in the community. Leverage the Living Building and other features of Bertschi’s green campus as a teaching space for the school community
- Lead the school as a community leader in sustainability practice and pedagogy
- Participate fully in the life of the school community
- Commitment to continued professional development
Compensation will be commensurate with the candidate’s background and experience and will be competitive with similar positions in Seattle area independent schools. Bertschi School offers excellent benefits including medical, dental, life insurance, retirement, sick/vacation days.
To be fully considered for this and all current and anticipated openings, we encourage you to upload your cover letter and resume to our website here: https://calwestlogin.com/apply (Current CalWest candidates need not apply here. Please email us at mysearch@CalWestEducators.com)
Please note: While we appreciate your interest, due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to respond to all applicants or give individual application status updates; candidates selected for an interview will be notified.