- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The College of Engineering has traditionally maintained an isolated IT environment separate from the central IT service offerings. The College of Engineering has recently decided to centralize the support of their IT environment and begin leveraging centrally provided services. This position will focus on supporting the College of Engineering during this transition period as well as after the centralization process has been completed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Systems Administrator will be responsible for the following:
Operating Systems and Application Support:
Ensure operating system software is properly installed, tested, and tuned to maximize operating efficiency. Examples of typical work activities include:
- Develop plans, schedules, documentation, and requirements for the installation and maintenance of new and/or revised software
- Install, configure, and tune operating systems software for optimal performance.
- Provide escalated technical support for College of Engineering services to Cal Poly Pomona and IT division staff, as assigned. Duties may include providing both on-site and telephone support for resolution of operating system and applications, as required.
- Prepare reports summarizing departmental technical activities
- Incumbent may be required to respond to inquiries from staff outside of normal business hours in support of campus operations.
System Analysis and Migration Planning:
Work with staff and vendors to gain an understanding of the College of Engineering technical environment and identify opportunities to consolidate services to centrally provides services. Examples of typical work activities include:
- Develop documentation of system interdependencies and usage patterns
- Analyze the usage of Engineering IT services to identify comparable services provided centrally
- Under the guidance of the department Lead, develop proposals to migrate Engineering IT services to centrally provided services
- Coordinate the migration process with end-users as well as other IT staff and departments
Performance and Security Monitoring:
Evaluate level of systems operation and recommend measures to improve overall performance and security of Engineering services. Examples of typical work activities include:
- Conduct analytical studies of system processing time and resource capacity, measuring system performance against predetermined or standard benchmarks (e.g., operating time, error rates, and types)
- Determine system compatibility and performance, and impact of integration with new systems or upgrades
- Provide security analysis for enterprise-level server and cloud systems
- Develop and carry out appropriate periodic maintenance procedures, diagnose and correct errors, maintain appropriate records, produce and carry out specified change control processes
- Monitor security bulletins for software in use in the server environment
- Assess criticality of security patches and make recommendations to management as to the potential impact of the related vulnerability
- Monitor the campus vulnerability management platform for identified vulnerabilities and develop plans to remediate
- Review policy compliance reports to determine if the Engineering systems are in compliance with campus server hardening standards
Application and Design Review:
Provide an application and design review of new and existing products and projects as requested by management that support the College of Engineering. Examples of typical work include:
- Assess the system’s ability to integrate into existing infrastructure
- Evaluate cloud services available to the campus to identify the optimal deployment
- Evaluate the security of the system
- Determine the ongoing supportability and viability of the system
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Information Systems, Engineering or a related field
- Two (2) years of relevant full-time experience or the equivalent part-time
- OR eight (8) years of relevant full-time experience
Functional knowledge of the specialty area demonstrated by an understanding and use of advanced principles and theories; ability to integrate work related knowledge to address problems; demonstrates competency in applying standard and non-standard technology applications and exploring and adapting changing technology, independently applies technical judgment; recognizes problems, uses reasoning and logic to establish possible causes, interprets and applies theories and principles, generates alternative solutions, implements a plan of action for the best resolution; develops solutions where precedents do not always exist. Ability to be proactive, anticipate outcomes and consequences of different approaches and making modifications to action plans; demonstrates competence at interpreting and communicating information; demonstrates reflective listening skills when working with others; assists other in completing assignments and provides work direction and training to others on new skills and procedures, ability to plan and work on shared projects. Providing technical support to technical and non-technical users, including involvement in significant projects involving core enterprise-level infrastructure and/or services; experience in supporting computing platforms running Windows-based and Linux-based operating systems; experience in managing systems and infrastructure in an IaaS cloud platform such as Amazon AWS; experience with common scripting languages used in a Windows and/or Linux environment such as PowerShell, Shell Scripts, Perl, etc. knowledge of modern operating system theory and operation, knowledge of modern programming languages, including PowerShell, ASPX, VBScript, SQL, Shell Scripts, Perl, knowledge of networking technologies, including TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, routing and firewall configuration and operation; ability to debug complex technical problems with modern computer operating systems, applications and networks. Ability to interact with others and to communicate technical information to both technical and non-technical users.
- Certifications in AWS or Azure
- Certifications in Windows and/or Linux
- Experience working in an academic environment
- Experience with Amazon Web Services
- Experience with Active Directory
- Experience with Revision control systems such as subversion, git, et al
- Experience in MS-SQL, MySQL
- Experience in Exchange/Office 365
- Experience with Virus/spam scanning
- Experience with SAN/NAS storage systems
Salary & Benefits
· Anticipated hiring: $4,372 - $6,666 per month
· An array of health plans that include prescription drug coverage
· Dental, Vision, and Health Insurance
· CalPERS Retirement Plan
· Union representation
· Educational benefits for qualifying dependents
· Income protection benefits including life insurance and disability
· Paid leave programs
· Employee Assistance Programs
· Personal and professional development opportunities
· Employee wellbeing initiatives
Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer
Cal Poly Pomona is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The university subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, and covered veteran status.
To read the full position description and apply, visit our careers page at:
Cal Poly PomonaWhy Work Here?
Join our diverse, campus community and support the academic success of our students.
Cal Poly Pomona is among the best public universities in the West and is nationally ranked for helping students achieve economic success. As an inclusive polytechnic university, we cultivate success through experiential learning, discovery, and innovation. Our graduates are ready to succeed in the professional world on Day 1. As a polytechnic university, Cal Poly Pomona utilizes a technology-enhanced, learn-by-doing approach to education. Students enjoy endless opportunities for involvement in a vibrant and diverse community. Nowhere else can students ride an Arabian horse, practice on a Steinway piano, bring a new product to market, and build a liquid-fueled rocket.
3801 W Temple Ave. Pomona CA 91768Pomona, CA
TechnologyView all jobs at Cal Poly Pomona