Business Intelligence Analyst
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Cal Poly Pomona is among the best public universities in the West and is nationally ranked for helping students achieve economic success. As an inclusive polytechnic university, we cultivate success through experiential learning, discovery, and innovation. Our graduates are ready to succeed in the professional world on Day 1. As a polytechnic university, Cal Poly Pomona utilizes a technology-enhanced, learn-by-doing approach to education. Students enjoy endless opportunities for involvement in a vibrant and diverse community. Nowhere else can students ride an Arabian horse, practice on a Steinway piano, bring a new product to market, and build a liquid-fueled rocket.
The Business Intelligence Analyst will:
Contribute to the design and enhancement of Business Intelligence (BI) Architecture:
- Develop and maintain existing and new data models that form the foundation for accurate and timely reporting across the university.
- Create ETL (Extract, Transform, and Load) scripts to move data from source systems into the Business Intelligence reporting environment. Develop and maintain appropriate processing schedules. Troubleshoot in the event of load errors or system failures.
- Perform data validation and sanitation to ensure quality, accuracy, and relevance of the BI Architecture.
- Participate in the planning and implementation of migration from outdated to new data systems and tools.
- Proactively engage in ongoing professional development in order to stay abreast of emerging tools and approaches in this fast-changing field. Recommend new strategies based upon best practices.
- Work closely with the Department Lead and Executive Director to research and develop solutions to integrate existing data sources into the campus-wide comprehensive reporting solutions.
- Inform emerging campus data governance policies and practices, and take these into consideration in the ongoing development of data and reporting sources.
- Gather user requirements and develop solutions for campus-wide dashboards and reports based on campus reporting standards.
- Develop campus-wide dashboards by applying Tableau development skills and knowledge about best practices for effective data visualization.
- Develop standards and processes behind the migration of reports/dashboards from development to production environments. Processes include, but are not limited to: code review for adherence to standards; impact on performance; and the administration or security related to dashboards/reports and data.
- Apply accessible technology (ATI) guidelines to data visualizations
Business Intelligence Support and Advocacy:
- Work with end users to troubleshoot and solve issues.
- Collaborate with department (DAA) colleagues in advocating for effective utilization of campus data by facilitating access, training, and use by faculty and staff throughout the campus community.
- Provide training for users in one-on-one and group settings.
- Develop documentation and data dictionaries for users.
- Seek and review exemplary models of dashboards used at other universities and suggest ways to adapt them for local use as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Information Systems, Engineering or a related field with two (2) years of relevant full-time experience or the equivalent part-time
- OR eight (8) years of relevant full-time experience.
- Functional/working knowledge of the specialty area demonstrated by an understanding and use of the general principles, practices and theories pertinent to the specialty.
- Able to integrate knowledge and skill from other specialties to address problems.
- Demonstrated competency in applying standard and non-standard technology applications and exploring and adapting changing technology.
- Demonstrated ability to independently apply technical judgment to achieve desired results. Able to work from specifications, with multiple systems and platforms.
- Recognizes problems, uses reasoning and logic to establish possible causes, interprets and applies theories and principles, generates and evaluates alternative solutions, devises and implements a plan of action for the best resolution within organizational constraints.
- Able to develop solutions where precedents do not always exist.
- Able to be proactive demonstrated by recognizing needs, anticipating outcomes and consequences of different approaches and making necessary modifications to action plans to achieve desired results.
- Able to independently recognize and use various learning techniques to apply and adapt new knowledge and skills in related, different and changing situations.
- Demonstrated competence at interpreting and communicating information, ideas and instructions. Able to select appropriate information and best method or format for presenting it.
- Demonstrated reflective listening skills in working with others to interpret and identify needs and requirements and develop successful solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to assist others in completing assignments and to provide basic work direction. Able to train others on new skills and procedures.
- Able to plan and work on shared projects to achieve established objectives
- Five years of experience in business intelligence, preferably in a higher education environment.
- Knowledge of data warehouse and business intelligence tools and best practices.
- Demonstrated competence in relational databases and structured programming design, ability to write and edit SQL queries.
- Experience in dimensional data modeling.
- Experience with PeopleSoft tables and data.
- Experience with data visualization tools (eg. Tableau).
- Working knowledge of Oracle RDBMS.
- ODI (Oracle Data Integrator) - ETL tool
- Software release and system change management experience.
- Data analysis and programming languages (e.g. R, Python)
- Comprehensive knowledge, skills and abilities to perform requirements analysis.
- Expertise and skills with technical and functional problems identification, resolving and tracking.
- Advanced experience with using PC tools (Word processing, diagramming and spreadsheets).
- Effective communication of technical issues and solutions to faculty, staff, and management.
- Ability to work with shifting and demanding deadlines and workload.
- Ability to research multiple sources and recommended solutions to problems.
- Experience working in higher education.
Salary & Benefits
· Anticipated hiring: $5,000 - $5,800 per month
· An array of health plans that include prescription drug coverage
· Dental, Vision, and Health Insurance
· CalPERS Retirement Plan
· Union representation
· Educational benefits for qualifying dependents
· Income protection benefits including life insurance and disability
· Paid leave programs
· Employee Assistance Programs
· Personal and professional development opportunities
· Employee wellbeing initiatives
Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer
Cal Poly Pomona is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The university subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, and covered veteran status.
To read the full position description and apply, visit our careers page at: https://careers.pageuppeople.com/873/po/en-us/job/506714/business-intelligence-analyst
Cal Poly PomonaWhy Work Here?
Join our diverse, campus community and support the academic success of our students.
Cal Poly Pomona is the No. 2 top public university in the West and the No. 1 polytechnic university in the U.S. for social mobility. We cultivate student success through strong student services programs and a curriculum rooted in experiential learning, discovery, and innovation. Our caring and inclusive campus is located in an idyllic foothills setting less than 30 miles from Los Angeles and within an hour’s drive of beaches, mountains and deserts. Join us in transforming lives with this opportunity to tell meaningful stories through analytics and visualizations in the Digital Marketing Analytics Specialist role.
3801 W Temple Ave. Pomona CA 91768Pomona, CA
BusinessView all jobs at Cal Poly Pomona