What we're looking for:
If you are passionate about safety, enjoy solving complex problems to improve processes and procedures, and are energized by building and sustaining relationships, keep reading! Our safety team at CSM Group is looking to add a Safety Specialist to our growing team. This is a great opportunity for you to apply your construction safety expertise, gain direct client exposure, and grown yourself and your team members.
As Safety Specialist, you'll be on-site as the construction field safety representative to provide oversight and guidance to ensure safe working conditions on a fully-operational construction job site. You will be responsible for overall safety and health management of project personnel in compliance to company and client safety policies and programs. This position involves the performance of site safety inspections, audits, delivering contractor orientation and safety training, site-specific project safety planning and revisions and/or management of safety documents.
You will also assist and support project management teams with inspections, incident record-keeping and investigation, tracking and reporting of safety performance indicators, and identification and correction of hazardous conditions and behaviors.
What you'll be doing:
- Assist on-site management and project personnel with safety and health compliance through education, training, auditing and implementation of company compliance initiatives and programs.
- Complete and manage all aspects of site-specific health and safety paperwork, record keeping and retention and may assist with HR paperwork as needed.
- Perform safety observations daily and throughout working shifts and providing project management and frontline personnel with recommendations for safety performance improvements and compliance.
- Strive to develop and maintain a positive safety culture onsite and develop positive working relationships with all levels of employees.
- Attend and/or conduct safety meetings and provide relevant safety information for daily tasks and conditions.
- Prepare and present weekly site safety meetings.
- Assist with the development and distribution of safety literature including the field safety services guide, safety newsletters, KPI reports, etc.
- Conduct periodic in-depth compliance audits of work areas and operations, documenting findings and working with project management to set appropriate timelines to address deficiencies.
- Manage all site safety training requirements for CSM project personnel.
- Conduct incident investigations and root cause analysis following any incidents involving company personnel, equipment or subcontractors.
- Perform injury and incident management, which will include direct communication and participation with the VP of Safety and HR Manager for Workers Compensation claims administration.
- Works with client site staff to positively encourage their development and support implementation of ideas, recommendations, and action plans.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Safety, Construction Management or Engineering or military equivalency
- 5-10 years of practical construction safety experience or military equivalency
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite of products (Outlook, Word, Excel, Project, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Must possess OSHA 30 and First Aid certification
- In pursuit or possesses STSC, CHST, OHST, ASP or CSP certification
- Must be highly motivated and possess excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to travel 90% of the time to various projects across Michigan and the USA.
- Must have a valid driver license and good driving record that meets Company Driver Safety Policy requirements.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.