As an HVAC technician, you have the freedom to travel from job to job. If you are self-motivated, good at problem-solving, like working with your hands and enjoy meeting new people every day, this is the job for you. At our company, our technicians are tasked with working on refrigeration, ventilation, cooling and heating systems. HVAC technicians must be ready to repair, install or maintain operations in a industrial or commercial building.
HVAC Technician Duties and Responsibilities:
- Travel to service calls, daily as scheduled.
- Perform consultations with customers.
- Determine customer needs and discuss all solution methods.
- Inspect current HVAC systems for effectiveness and safety.
- Perform preventative maintenance on HVAC systems to increase longevity.
- Conduct performance tests with specialized tools.
- Troubleshoot current HVAC system issues.
- Repair damaged HVAC systems.
- Sell ongoing maintenance contracts to current customers.
- Maintain accurate inventory of all equipment, tools, and HVAC resources.
- Must be punctual and adhere to a daily schedule with multiple appointments in different locations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Able to read electrical schematics and mechanical blueprints.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to run copper piping and PVC.
- Ability to organize work and meet deadlines.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to wire routine reports and correspondence.
- Understands and has mastered the refrigeration cycles to include: identifying components in advanced refrigeration circuits, understanding how each component works, diagnosing and correcting problems in the refrigeration circuit, using manifold gauge set, pressure/temperature chart and temperature measuring devices for routine maintenance and to troubleshoot.
- Understands refrigeration recovery, evacuation and charging, understands the installation and sizing of refrigerant piping.
- Understands and has mastered the heating cycle to include: identifying components in heating system, understanding how each component works, diagnosing problems in the heating system using a gas pressure test and other devices for routine maintenance and to troubleshoot and repair.
- Understands and has mastered electron theory, how electricity travels, AC and DC currents, single phase and three phase circuits, and series and parallel circuits. Ability to read wiring advanced wiring diagrams. Knowledge of Ohms Law. Ability to use multi-meters to read voltage, current and resistance values. Must be able to troubleshoot advanced electrical circuits.
- Understands and has mastered the fundamentals of temperature and humidity measurement and control in air conditioning units. Understands the process of treating air so as to simultaneously control its temperature, humidity, cleanliness and distribution. Ability to use a psychometric chart to determine the results of mixing air having various properties.
- Understands and has mastered all types of HVAC systems and how each component within the system operates in conjunction with the other components and how that impacts the overall operations of the system as a whole. These systems include but are not limited to air cooled, water cooled, hot water systems, chilled water systems, VAV systems, steam heating systems and building automation control systems.
- Full time.
- Great compensation ($25-$45 hourly depending on experience).
- Company truck.
- Dispatched from home.
- Paid time off and benefits.
- 5 years plus.