- $124,000 to $165,000 Yearly
- Vision , Medical , Dental , Paid Time Off , Life Insurance , Retirement
CSG Consultants, Inc. (CSG) is a California-based, employee-owned company with a widespread presence across the state. Our firm specializes in providing services exclusively to public agencies, a commitment that ensures the absence of conflicts of interest between developers and governmental bodies. This focus allows us to dedicate ourselves entirely to meeting the unique needs of our municipal clients.
We are excited to announce that our Planning Department is actively seeking a Principal Planner to join our team in the Central Valley / Fresno, CA region. Our services encompass staff augmentation and project management, environmental and sustainability programs, and more. At CSG, you'll have the freedom to grow within a company that values opportunity and prioritizes professional partnerships.
The Principal Planner, also known as Planning Manager, supervises and participates in current and advanced highly-complex professional planning activities. The Principal Planner often manages and supervises sections or divisions within the larger planning department of an organization. Furthermore, the Principal Planner may function as a deputy for the Senior Principal Planner/Planning Director or even serve as Acting Director. In other cases, the Principal Planner may possess a more limited supervisory role and rather function within an organization as the most senior planner with expertise in a particular specialization. The incumbent is responsible for overall division planning and management, personnel administration including training, selection, and performance management, coordinating work programs and priorities, and ensures that decision making among the divisions is internally consistent and in accordance with State and municipal statutes. The incumbent works under the direction of the Senior Principal Planner/ Director of Planning.
- Performs and manages complex and sensitive professional planning projects, research and analysis.
- Monitors and ensures compliance with local, state and federal laws.
- Oversees specialized planning functions such as large-scale new development proposals and environmental studies.
- Provides overall management of division-related planning issues.
- Advises the Senior Principal Planner/Planning Director on all planning-related matters.
- Advises various councils, boards, commissions, and elected officials in planning-related issues.
- Supervises Planning Department.
- Serves as liaison and performs all necessary functions in support of Planning Commission.
- Assigns work to professional staff and ensures appropriate training is provided.
- Evaluates operations and activities of assigned responsibilities.
- Prepares reports on operations and activities, recommending improvements and modifications.
- Handles sensitive personnel matters.
- Participates in municipality’s budget preparation and administration, monitors and controls expenditures.
- Attends substantial number of evening and weekend meetings as needed.
- Serves as acting Senior Principal Planner/Planning Director in his or her absence.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Planning, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Urban Studies, Public or Business Administration or a closely related field and five years recent managerial level experience in governmental planning.
- Sufficient education and experience in governmental planning to demonstrate the possession and application of the required knowledge and abilities.
- A Master's degree in one of the above areas is highly desirable and would substitute for one year of managerial experience.
- Possession of license, registration, or certification in a related field, such as American Planning Association (APA) or American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP), is highly desirable.
- Background and understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, as well as Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
- Strong critical thinking skills and ability to make creative and solutions-oriented recommendations.
- Strong interpersonal skills and effective communications skills
- Principles and practices of governmental planning necessary to plan, organize, direct, manage and evaluate the staff and functions of a planning division.
- Current trends and statistics affecting governmental planning.
- State Planning Act, California Land Conservation (Williamson) Act, Subdivision Act and California Environmental Quality Act.
- Principles and practices of public administration, organization, management analysis, supervision, budgeting, and personnel management.
- Effectively organize, coordinate, direct and evaluate the staff and functions of a governmental planning division.
- Develop creative and practical solutions to complex problems.
- Communicate effectively with individuals and groups.
- Train, organize, supervise, and motivate division staff.
- Effectively represent the Department before the decision makers, municipal executives, the public, and other entities and organizations.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with all those contacted during the course of work.
- Work within a complex environment with a diverse staff and community population.
- Prepare clear and comprehensive correspondence and reports.
- Work independently or in a team environment.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Working with detailed, finely printed documents.
- Requires sitting for long periods of time.
- On occasion, may require working in inspection site environments.
- May require driving, visiting work sites and clients.
- Capacity to work in a fast-paced environment when dealing with deadlines and multiple projects
PAY AND BENEFITS
We offer competitive pay and benefits, well-being programs to support you and your family, and development resources you need to advance your career. When you join us, you will connect and collaborate with a 300+ network of experts: community planners, environmental specialists, civil and structural engineers, building and safety experts, fire prevention and construction managers – leading the change to a more sustainable and equitable future.
The compensation for this position is $124,000 to 165,000 per year
Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, and location.
CSG’s comprehensive benefits package includes 401(k) plus company match, Employee Stock Ownership Program (Eligibility requirements must be met to qualify), 12 paid holidays, 3 weeks of paid time off (PTO), medical, dental, vision, FSA, EAP, Life/AD&D, LTD, voluntary life insurance, casual work environment and professional development program.
CSG Consultants is an established and thriving, employee-owned municipal services consulting firm headquartered in Foster City, California with offices throughout California. Since 1991, CSG has exclusively served public agencies, providing a wide range of municipal services—from planning to community preservation. A trusted leader in the industry, CSG focuses on building long-term relationships with our client communities and stands by its commitment to the time-honored values of quality of service, integrity, and responsiveness.
Work Environment: We strive to offer the flexibility you need to do your best work. Whether you are working from a CSG office, remote location or at a client site, you will be working in a dynamic environment, where your integrity, enterprising spirit and pioneering mindset are championed. You will help us foster a culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion – a safe and respectful workplace, where we invite everyone to bring their whole selves to work, using your unique talents, backgrounds, and experience to create positive outcomes for our clients.
Career Growth: We will encourage you to grow and develop your career with us through our technical and professional development programs and diverse career opportunities. We believe in leadership at all levels. No matter where you sit in the organization, you can make a lasting impact on projects you work on, the teams and committees you join as a part of our business practices.
CSG Consultants is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions and provides employment opportunities based on merit, qualifications, potential and competency. We want to have the best available persons in every job. CSG policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, religion, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship status, military and veteran status, age, disability, genetic information, or medical condition or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. CSG Consultants, Inc. is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application process. Any applicant who requires accommodation to apply for or perform the essential functions of a job should contact the Human Resources Department and request such accommodation.
CSG Consultants Inc.Newman, CA
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.