Position: Director of Bioinformatics
Location: San Diego, CA
# of openings: 1
At Cradle Genomics, our goal is to transform non-invasive prenatal testing (NIPT) by offering the most comprehensive fetal genetic analysis and pregnancy health screening solutions at the earliest stages of pregnancy. We are passionate about improving patient care and enabling global access to the best possible prenatal solutions. Cradle Genomics is headquartered in San Diego with additional R&D operations located in Detroit.
Cradle Genomics is currently seeking a Director of Bioinformatics with experience in high-throughput biological data and a strong interest in quantitative biology and algorithm development. The Director of Bioinformatics leads the design and implementation of statistical analyses of varying complexity in the context of research, development, product validations and clinical studies. As a member of the senior leadership team this person will be responsible for managing a team of bioinformatics scientists, biostatisticians, and programmers.
· Evaluate, develop, validate, and implement next-generation sequencing (NGS) data analysis enhancements for test optimization, including bioinformatics analysis pipelines, testing/validation scripts, and other tools associated with non-invasive prenatal testing
· Lead the development of new methods/algorithms/tools for optimizing clinical test performance
· Provide technical leadership in the design and analysis of complex experiments during all phases of clinical test development
· Develop tools and automated analysis pipelines for clinical tests, including variant detection and quality control
· Provide expert consultation on process and technology improvements within R&D and participate in resolution of support requests where computational biology tools are used
· Produce high quality written documentation including study protocols, data analysis plans and reports
· Provide troubleshooting and maintenance supports for bioinformatics pipeline and applications for clinical tests
· Manage a team of bioinformatics scientists, biostatisticians, and programmers
Qualifications and Experience:
- Advanced degree in bioinformatics, computational biology, structural biology, biophysics, biology and computer science, or related discipline
- At least 10 years experience in biotechnology field as Sr Scientist or higher role
- At least 5 years managerial experience in an industry setting
- Proficiency with Perl, Python, R, Java, C++ and SQL in Linux/Unix environment
- Expertise designing projects and experiments to solve assay optimization questions
- Familiarity with next-generation sequencing (NGS) data and mainstream software packages for secondary analysis, such as BWA, GATK, MuTect, VarScan2, etc.
- Solid working knowledge of the key public reference databases for clinical variation data
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work effectively within a team, cross-functionally, and as an independent contributor, requiring minimal supervision
- Experience with the analysis of non-invasive prenatal testing (NIPT) data is desirable