This position will serve as the Taste NY Market Sales Clerk/Specialist in support of Taste NY operations at Penn Station, Farmers' Markets and related activities for Cornell Cooperative Extension Association of Nassau County. This position works closely with the Market Sales Clerk/Lead Associate. Primary responsibilities include ensuring the Taste NY at Penn Station operations are properly replenished in a timely fashion, inventory management, assisting customers in a food service setting, assisting with check out, maintaining clean and organized work areas and ensuring a clean guest area. The Taste NY Market Sales Clerk/Specialist will be managing inventory and the Square Point of Sale (POS) software. Other responsibilities include, but are not limited to: training of newly hired staff and assisting with purchasing and concession inventory. Must be able to assist when needed in maintaining cash banks for operation of cash register and cash controls with the Market Manager, Assistant Market Manager, and the Market Sales Clerk/Lead Associate. The Taste NY Market Sales Clerk/Specialist will assist with inventory and transport of inventory within the operation storage facilities and to the carts. Specialists must be able to perform all duties of Ambassadors, and fill-in for Lead Associate when needed. Taste NY Market Sales Clerk/Specialist is expected to discuss NYS agriculture and local food products with customers to engage them in these areas and to provide information upon request about the food and farm products sold in the store. Specialist must follow health safety and sanitation guidelines. Anticipates customer and store needs by constantly evaluating the environment and customers for cues. Inspect the work area for cleanliness and organization as needed. Must be able to follow and create already developed coffee recipes. Must have the ability to recommend daily coffee choices to the customer from the menu list.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent Education.
- Experience relevant to the role of the position.
- Two (2) years' retail sales experience.
- Ability to work flexible hours which may include early mornings, evenings, weekends, nights and/or holidays.
- Must be able to lift 20-50 pounds.
- Must be willing to work outdoors.
- Ability to complete basic math in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to work with the public in a food service setting.
- Ability to make correct change of currency.
- Ability to operate or learn to operate a cash register and Point of Sale (POS) system.
- Ability to use or learn to use Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Ability to work with the public.
- Ability to communicate effectively with managers and co-workers.
- Attention to detail, including product rotation detail.
- Associate's Degree.
- Regular and consistent punctuality with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Microsoft Office proficiency (especially excel);
- Experience working in customer service and retail environments;
- Understanding of basic marketing;
- Financial accounting and order tracking;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks;
- Proficiency with internet based communications;
- Knowledge of the organization, operation, philosophy and objectives of Cooperative Extension
- Knowledge of agriculture and agricultural practices.
- Knowledge of inventory software and inventory management.
Direction - 5%
- Provide input to assist LI-TNY Market Manager, Assistant Market Manager and Shift Supervisors with planning for scheduling, training and inventory.
Coordination/Operation - 90%
- Greets, assists and serves the needs of Taste NY customers at Penn Station.
- Provides support functions in the work area and to the team as needed.
- Work area inspection, organization and recordkeeping.
- Must assist in maintaining a clean facility.
- Replenishment of store supplies and assists with inventory.
- Track product inventory.
- Assist with inventory count.
- Receive and log scheduled deliveries.
- Assist with promotion of agri-tourism in NYS.
- Promote local farms, produce, food and products displayed to customers.
- Provide quality beverages and food products consistently for all customers by adhering to all recipe and presentation standards.
- Monitor product expiration dates and observe First in First out practices.
- Follow health safety and sanitation guidelines.
- Assist with product ordering. Re-stock shelves and coolers.
- Cash Controls and Cash Bank - follow all procedures for cash controls and assist Market Manager and Assistant Market Manager with cash bank.
- Prepare purchase orders for concession, consumable and janitorial items.
- Work with vendors to learn about their products and train Taste NY Market Sales Clerk/Ambassadors about those products.
- Maintain equipment, troubleshoot if necessary and call for repair as directed. (such equipment will include but not be limited to cash registers, POS software, computer equipment and coffee brewing machine).
- Serve coffee and assist customers with coffee choices.
- Provide training and assign duties to Taste NY Market Sales Clerk/Ambassadors.
- Oversee ringing up customer sales transactions and assist when needed.
- Oversee before shift and after shift cash drawer reconciliation.
- Supervise that transactions are conducted with highest integrity and compliance with cash management procedures.
- Assist Taste NY Market Sales Clerk/Ambassador with reconciliation of Square Report.
- Assist Taste NY Market Sales Clerk/ Ambassador with reconciliation of cash in drawer to receipts of products sold.
Professional Improvement - 5%
- In cooperation with Supervisor and/or Executive Director, jointly develop and pursue a professional development plan as a means to increase competencies relative to position accountabilities and to address changes and Association priorities.
- Collaborate in activities that are in general support of Cornell Cooperative Extension and perform other duties as assigned.
Health and Safety-Applied to all duties and functions.
- Support the Association to maintain a safe working environment.
- Be familiar with and strive to follow any applicable federal, state, local regulations, Association health and safety policy/procedure/requirement and standard.
- Act proactively to prevent accidents/injuries and communicate hazards to supervisors when identified.
EEO/EPO and Policy-Applied to all duties and functions.
- Appreciate and embrace diversity in all interactions with clientele, staff, volunteers and the public.
- Assist the Cornell Cooperative Extension system in reaching out to diverse audiences.
- Aware of, and adheres to, established Cornell Cooperative Extension Association of Nassau County policies, procedures and Cornell Cooperative Extension Skills for Success.
- Contribute to the overall success of the organization by performing all assigned duties in a professional, timely and accurate manner.
This is a non-exempt, part-time position, 81.25% FTE, 32.5 hours/week. The hourly rate for this position is $19.00.
Pay Rate Type: Hourly
HOW TO APPLY:
Review of applications will begin immediately. Position will remain open until close of day on July 10, 2019 and until a qualified pool of candidates is obtained.
Applicants need to attach/upload a resume to the online application in either Microsoft