Director of Finance and Operations
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Communities First, Inc. is a Michigan-based nonprofit 501c3 whose mission is to build healthy, vibrant communities through economic development, affordable housing and innovative programming. CFI is focused on providing safe, quality affordable housing, increasing economic opportunities, and improving the quality of life of the populations that the organization serves.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Responsible for the efforts, results, and success of the organization’s finances and operations. Provides financial advice and support to help senior executives make key decisions. Professional with knowledge of all accounting, financial and business principles. Reporting directly to the President and CEO, the Director of Finance and Operations would have a variety of responsibilities ranging from typical business accounting functions to the evaluation and management of complex non-profit and tax credit structured finance issues.
As a point person for all things financial, this professional would guide the organization on matters such as capitalization strategy, accounting and monitoring cash and non-cash timing impacts, the impacts of various real estate projects’ performance on the company, budgeting and forecasting, audit/tax preparation and management, vendor coordination and oversight of the companies' comprehensive impacts data as well as coordination with various specialized contractors who assist CFI with federal funding applications.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Degree in accounting, business, finance or a related field; advanced degree preferred
- Licensed CPA is preferred but not required
- Non-profit accounting experience preferred
- Real estate or asset management experience strongly preferred.
- 3 + years of Real Estate Tax experience, including the 2019 Tax Cut and Jobs Act, is preferred.
- Three years of progressively increasing leadership experience preferably in a non-profit or accounting setting.
- Knowledge in a broad range of real estate tax technical and transaction skills, including partnership taxation and tax compliance.
- Must have strong organizational skills, as well as excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to prioritize multiple tasks/engagements and the confidence to question existing processes.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office (advanced Excel user) and high proficiency with QuickBooks or similar tax software.
- Attention to detail and respect for confidentiality.
- A self-starting problem solver who is capable of operating at a senior level, but willing to work “hands-on”.
- Proficient in using technology as management reporting tools.
- Ability to synthesize data and make complex information understandable
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Strong understanding of, and ability to implement and utilize, Uniform Guidance and GAAP.
- Excellent mathematical skills including financial modeling and forecasting.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, interpersonal and team-building skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective, cooperative relationships with widely diverse groups and individuals both within and outside the organization.
- Ability to analyze, synthesize and present data.
- Excellent planning, organizing and problem-solving skills.
- Superior attention to detail and integrity.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Fiscal Operations and Internal Controls
- Responsible for all day-to-day financial operations, including payroll, billing and vouchering, general ledger management, property accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, financial reporting, etc.
- Assure adherence to monthly accounting cycles, to meet deadlines.
- Monitor cash flow and manage cash balances, accounts, and other financial transactions.
- Update and oversee adherence to financial policies and procedures company-wide.
- Conform to Uniform Guidance, GAAP and non-profit best practices that assures CFI’s operations, policies and practices are in compliance with federal, state and city statutory regulations and legislation.
- Seek out methods and practices to minimize financial risk.
- IT management and improvements
- Create and maintain relationships with service providers and contractors, including banking institutions.
- Be engaged in the bidding process
- Hire, train and develop employees who will be an asset to the finance department, with support from executive staff
Grant Financial Management:
- Develop tools and work in partnership with programs to track and assure timely expenditure of funds and to maximize grant utilization.
- Develop funder budgets and submit budget revisions as needed to maximize utilization of grants.
- Oversee submission of monthly, quarterly and annual reporting to public and private funders.
- Assure controls are in place to identify and track eligible expenses.
- Oversee and manage successful completion of audits by funders, including HUD, , Michigan Housing Development Authority, Indiana Housing Authority and others as needed.
- Develop and maintain expertise in funder requirements and regulations as they impact CFI’s fiscal operations.
- Understand and train staff on expense eligibility and fiscal compliance of CFI’s government funders.
- Work in collaboration with Leadership and Management Team to assess new funding opportunities and develop budgets and forecasts as needed to assess fiscal feasibility of new funding sources and prepare applications, as necessary.
Organizational Budgeting, Forecasting and Long-Term Planning:
- Spearhead development of annual organizational budget, working collaboratively with the Executive Director, the Leadership Team, and various departments to develop a comprehensive budget.
- Develop cash flow budgets and projections, working with Executive Director to address risk.
- Work in partnership with Housing Department to develop annual budgets for CFI’s properties and create long-term asset management plans.
- Interpret complex financial information and provide updates, forecasts and information as needed.
- Analyze the financial climate and market trends to assist senior executives in creating strategic plans for the future.
Financial Reporting and Annual Audits:
- Develop and review monthly financial statements.
- Prepare official reports on a monthly and annual basis.
- Provide financial reports to departments and Leadership Team to support their adherence of department and funder budgets.
- Develop timely organizational financial statements for Board of Directors.
- Development timely quarterly financial statements for each of CFI’s properties.
- Manage finance department budget.
- Engage auditing firm selected by Board of Directors to obtain a clean annual audit of organizational finances.
- Work collaboratively with the Executive Director, finance team and other departments to successfully complete audit, including Single Audit, and meet organizational and funder deadlines.
- Actively participate in CFI’s Senior Leadership Team.
- Participate in all Board of Directors meetings.
- Direct and attend Board Finance Committee meetings.
- Participate in staff meetings and staff development opportunities.
- Work with Executive Team, Board of Directors and Leadership Team to assess new opportunities for growth and expansion.
- Provide fiscal over-site and analysis to all organizational operations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE:
- Able to lift a minimum of 25 lbs and walk the stairs.
- Must possess valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle and proof of automobile insurance.
- Must pass applicable background tests
- Medical, vision and dental coverage
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement plan
- Life Insurance
- Short term and long term disability
CFI is an Affirmative Action, equal-opportunity employer. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive, and employees shall perform other duties as appropriate. CFI reserves the right to revise or change job duties as needed. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
We place a very high value on diversity, equity and inclusion and are always actively seeking out team members of diverse backgrounds and experiences.
COMMUNITIES FIRST, INC
Finance and InsuranceView all jobs at COMMUNITIES FIRST, INC