CMT Services is recruiting for a Biological Scientist
CMT Services, Inc. is a dynamic and growing small business supporting Federal, State, and Local government agencies. As a SBA-certified HUBZone, Woman Owned Small Business (WOSB), we deliver quality, professional services to support the missions and strategic business goals of our clients. Leaning on our core values of Integrity & Commitment, CMT’s mission is to continue delivering the highest quality services to our customers by applying best practices from our team of Industry experts ensuring not only our customers success, but the establishment of CMT Services as their Reliable Partner of Choice.
Job Title: Biological Scientist
Location: Bethesda, MD
Street: 9000 Rockville Pike Bldg: 49 Room: 1B80 City: Bethesda State & Zip: MD 20892
Weekly Hours FT: 30-40 hours per week
Overall Position Summary and Objectives
The purpose of the position is to provide histology services in the Laboratory of Neuropsychology.
- Clean Equipment - Daily
- Inspect Equipment - Weekly
- Meet with lab members to present updates - Weekly.
- Works products and documents related to performing research activities such as: section brain, process tissue using immunohistochemistry and/or in-situ hybridization techniques in rhesus monkeys, perform histological staining of neural tissue using standard stains, analyze tissue and perform cell count using image analysis software- Daily.
- Works products and documents related to conducting experiments in accordance with established protocols and practices; conducting analyses and preparing reports pertaining to laboratory experiments or other operations; interpreting and adapting guidelines for application to complex laboratory problems; assist in presenting information to laboratory personnel. - Daily
- Works products and documents related to performing routine laboratory upkeep such as storing and disposing of hazardous material, preparing solutions, media, stains and buffers; assist in troubleshooting and calibrating various laboratory equipment and instruments. - Daily
- Works products and documents related to conducting analyses and acquiring photographs of neural tissue using state-of-the-art microscopes, train staff regarding histological techniques and use of microscopes. - Weekly
- Work products and documents related to computer-related work, including the collection, maintenance, and organization of histological data and database; analysis of histological data - Daily.
- Work products and documents related to literature searches, reviews for new studies and manuscripts, preparation of draft manuscripts, presentation of scientific data at scientific meetings. - Ad-Hoc
Statement of Work Details
Supports laboratory staff on research projects and techniques.
Independently direct and conduct special research projects that have a high priority for the laboratory with special emphasis in the development of novel research treatments and surgical techniques.
Provide Surgical Support by independently providing surgical services for other in the lab. Including: headpost and chamber placement, Chronic electrode and LED array implantation, stereotaxic and visualized aspiration lesions and
injections of virus/tracer.
Maintains laboratory equipment and the training of others in their use.
Maintain and perform staff training on scientific instrumentation, including Operating Microscopes (Zeiss, Tivato 700),
Surgical neuronavigation system (Cortexplore), Stereotaxic and low-profile head holders (Jerry-rig, USA), Surgical instruments, Microfluidic virus injection apparatus, and chronic electrode recording array implantation systems (Blackrock,
Assists in maintaining adequate space and facilities for ongoing and projected research studies.
Liaison with VMRB and animal facility in maintaining LN space and facilities. Point person for LN staff in all matters
related to animal care and use.
Evaluates, analyzes and interprets research data, communicates results and methods in reports, presentations, and manuscripts.
Presents research at national scientific meetings and symposia; present results of clinical and experimental research at recognized scientific meetings by lectures and exhibit poster sessions.
Provides interpretation of results, guidance, and scientific support to the management team; produce research reports and regularly communicate results to staff and collaborators.
Coordinates with junior staff to modify research protocols.
Work with staff to confirm assay results and evaluate new techniques and instruments; search literature; propose, design and test alternative assays for difficult screening targets; confirm assay results; develop secondary assays.
Prepare and/or revise Animal Study Proposals to support research goals.
Mentors junior level scientists by training staff on the proper usage of surgical instruments and advise staff in surgical techniques and approaches.
Provides technical experience needed to assist in studying the basic principles of plant and animal life.
Develop and maintain liaisons and effective working relations with groups and individuals, agencies, and the public to encourage cooperative management strategies or to develop information and interpret findings.
Train staff regarding histological techniques and use of microscopes.
Assist in presenting information to laboratory personnel.
Assists with performing basic laboratory experiments and procedures.
Monitor and observe experiments, recording production and test data for evaluation by research personnel.
Analyze experimental data and interpret results to write reports and summaries of findings.
Perform research activities such as: section brains using sliding microtome, process tissue using immunohistochemistry and/or in-situ hybridization techniques, perform histological staining of neural tissue using standard.
stains (e.g., Nissl, Weigert), analyze tissue and perform cell counts using image analysis software. 1
Conduct experiments in accordance with established protocols and practices using a variety of laboratory equipment and instruments.
Conduct analyses and acquire photographs of neural tissue using state-of-the-art microscopes. 2
Conduct analyses and prepare reports pertaining to laboratory experiments or other operations; Collaborate on the update and creation of standard operating procedures. 3
Prepares, organizes and maintains various lab samples, supplies, and equipment.
Operate, calibrate, or maintain equipment used in quantitative or qualitative analysis, such as spectrophotometers, calorimeters, flame photometers, or computer-controlled analyzers.
Maintain laboratory equipment.
Operate laboratory equipment to analyze samples.
Analyze laboratory findings.
Perform routine laboratory upkeep such as: storing and disposing of hazardous material. preparing solutions, media, stains, and buffers. 4
Assist in troubleshooting and calibrating various laboratory equipment and instruments.
Learns new laboratory techniques and procedures.
Program and use computers to store, process, and analyze data.
Monitor operational procedures in technical environments to ensure conformance to standards.
Interpret research or operational data.
Record research or operational data
Interpret and adapt guidelines for application to complex laboratory problems.
Perform literature searches, reviews for new studies and manuscripts, preparation of draft manuscripts, presentation of scientific data at scientific meetings.
Experience in processing brain tissue using immunohistochemistry and/or in-situ hybridization techniques
Experience in performing histological staining of neural tissue using standard stains (e.g. Nissel, Weigert)
Strong communication skills, both oral and written –
Excellent analytical, organizational, and time management skills
Resume Max Pages
Certifications & Licenses - A bachelor’s degree plus 3 years of specialized experience in Histology is equivalent to a Masters degree.
Field of Study - Neuroscience - Biology
Software - Powerpoint - Outlook - Excel - Word - Mac and Windows Operating systems
CMT Services IncBethesda, MD
ScienceView All CMT Services Inc Jobs
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.