Provide web-based application development support to the Nanoscience and Technology division. The contractor shall work at the direction of the Computing and Information Technology group leader. The contractor is expected to develop web applications in support of both division administration and scientific research. Resulting code must be well structured, portable, extensible, maintained under revision control and well documented. The contractor will be required to work 40 hrs/week during normal Laboratory business hours.
I. Analyze and interpret program specifications; code and test program modules.
Works under direct supervision of higher classification staff member. Has one to three years
2. Technical Direction of Work
Reports to the Information Solutions and Technology Assurance (ISTA) group leader.
3. Task and Time Reporting
The designated Information Solutions and Technology Assurance group leader will measure
work performed by the contractor on a task basis. Tasks are of both short and extended
duration. Candidate will be expected to manage extended projects, engaging others as
appropriate and reporting progress on a regular and timely basis to the supervisor. Progress
will be assessed and hours recorded on a weekly basis, and reported to the contract vendor.
4. Computer Protection Program
The contractor shall adhere to all policies and procedures of the Argonne Computer
Protection Program, must not bypass any procedures established to protect data, applications,
hardware, or communications at Argonne, must maintain a work environment that will satisfy
audit, privacy, and protection requirements, and must report any findings of inadequacies to
the technical contact and the CIS Computer Protection Program Representative.
- At least 3 years of current experience in web application development
- Experience with Laravel and another PHP framework
- More than basic knowledge of MySQL: stored procedures, query optimization, etc.
- Experience with microservices framework
- Experience with code repositories (Subversion or Git)
- Experience with web application data management
- Experience with web server technologies, such as Apache and Nginx
- Experience with load balancer and reverse proxy technologies, such as HAProxy and Nginx
- Good problem-solving skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks
- Good communication and documentation skills
- Experience with CakePHP
- Experience with Amazon Web Services
- User interface design
- Usability design
- Graphic skills (Photoshop/Gimp)