Economic Development Intern
- $12 to $15 Hourly
Purpose of Internship:
The City of Decatur’s Community and Economic Development Department has an opening for a temporary paid, part-time planning intern in the Economic Development Division. During this internship, the Economic Development Intern will learn and expand substantial and transferrable skills and experience to progress professionally and personally. The intern will be involved in priority initiatives and gain experience working with a diverse set of stakeholders across multiple sectors (city government, commercial property owners, private business owners and community organizations). The economic development intern will also develop important skills and experience in the areas of business development, business recruitment, equity, commercial leasing, and business owner and commercial property engagement in development processes.
The Economic Development Intern will assist with the tasks and responsibilities of the Business Development Manager. At a minimum, the Economic Development Intern will be expected to assist with the following:
- Create a database of an inventory of existing commercial storefront properties within the City of Decatur, and include a way to keep track of vacancies;
- Compile case studies on local economic development business incentive programs in regional benchmark cities with business development initiatives;
- Develop a plan and assist the Business Development Manager in hosting a networking meeting of commercial property owners and representatives of potential businesses to open in the city;
- Attend the monthly Downtown Development Authority meetings when necessary; and
- Attend quarterly restaurant and retail meetings;
- Basic understanding of economic development principles
- Basic knowledge of economic development, commercial real estate, or business development
- Competency in various computer software programs, such as Microsoft Office, and Internet applications
- Exhibit good written, graphic illustration, and oral communication skills
- Strong project management skills
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Motivated to work independently with guided instruction
- Ability to work effectively within deadlines
Potential candidates interested in this position MUST meet the following minimum requirements:
- Full-time or Part-time graduate student or undergraduate student
- Preferred majors in Business, Economics, Urban Planning, Commercial Real Estate Development, or a closely related field
- Demonstrated interest in issues related to economic development
Must be able to fulfill internship responsibilities in office and during normal business hours. Must be able to sit and stand for varying periods of time. Must be able to see, hear, speak, write, and operate office equipment such as phones, computers, copy machine, etc. Must be able to lift, push, pull, or carry up to 30lbs.
How to Apply: Please submit your application by 5:00 PM, Monday, June 30, 2023 for assured consideration. Interested persons should submit a one-page cover letter explaining why you are interested in the internship (include number of hours a week you are available) and a resume. All applications materials must be submitted online at www.decaturga.com. If selected, interviews will be conducted the week of July 10, 2023.
Sorry, but we are unable to provide Visa sponsorship for the internship position. We do not accept e-mailed application materials as a part of the consideration process.
CITY OF DECATURDecatur, GA
EducationView All CITY OF DECATUR Jobs
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.