Substance Use Specialist, NY (CASAC)
- Posted: over a month ago
Are you a credentialed alcohol and substance use counselor? Are you looking to make a difference in the lives of people impacted by substance use and the criminal legal system? Would you like to learn new skills and be part of an interdisciplinary team that provides therapeutic case management services? If so, then the Nathaniel Community Success (NCS) team at CASES is the place for you!
CASES keeps people out of jail and prison by engaging them in effective services that help them achieve success in the community. We specialize in serving youth and young adults and people with behavioral health needs. CASES is a leading New York City provider of alternatives to incarceration, a key solution for a fairer criminal legal system. This is an important time at CASES. New York City is on track to create a smaller, safer, and more equitable criminal legal system. Working at CASES is more than a job; it is an opportunity to promote justice for New Yorkers with access to high-quality and evidence-based court and therapeutic services.
NCS is a new alternative-to-incarceration (ATI) program that serves individuals of all genders, aged 16 and older, with mental illness (including substance use problems). NCS operates in Manhattan and Brooklyn and will leverage the expertise of CASES in jail and prison alternatives and mental health treatment, including operation of an outpatient clinic and care coordination services. In doing so, NCS will directly help reduce the utilization of jails and prisons. In this position, you will receive training in the use of risk assessment measures, as well as Motivational Interviewing techniques. At CASES, we offer free continuing education credits for LMSW/LCSWs and LMHCs (and have applied for approval for CASACs), as well as a comprehensive training curriculum available to all employees. We are a diverse team at CASES, and we welcome candidates of all genders, races, ethnicities, sexual orientations, and disabilities to apply.
We are seeking a Substance Use Specialist for our Harlem NCS team, who will join a multidisciplinary team comprised of a Team Leader, Forensic Clinical Case Coordinator, Forensic Case Coordinator, Peer Specialist, Clinical Criminal Legal Specialist, and Program Assistant. The NCS team provides individualized clinical case management; linkage to services for mental health (including substance use problems) and medical treatment; and court-ordered supervision services. Each participant’s plan is individualized, responding to specific needs and risks to help each participant achieve and maintain recovery and reduce criminal recidivism. The Substance Use Specialist will be responsible for providing evidenced based, clinically oriented services to address substance use and other specific risk factors, such as decision-making and self-regulation skills. CASES is looking for an individual who is committed to social justice, evidence-based practices, effective violence risk management, and the principles of recovery-oriented and trauma-informed services.
We believe that in-person operations are the best way to serve our clients, both directly and through essential operational support. This job requires work in our offices and/or the community.Job Description
- Perform initial drug assessments, individual case management sessions, and group therapeutic support sessions
- During the assessment, obtain information to establish the degree of risk for substance use and associated harmful behaviors and interventions required to promote progress towards recovery
- Complete 6-month comprehensive assessment, crisis intervention and relapse prevention plans, progress notes, and other significant documentation
- Evaluate use of services and expected outcomes on a continuing basis.
- Participate in multidisciplinary team approach providing comprehensive support for each participant
- In collaboration with participants, identify their treatment needs, based on severity of substance use, stage of change, and immediate needs, as well as recommended treatment objectives
- Work effectively with client’s support system including external providers (e.g., therapist, psychiatrist, primary care providers), as well as family and other collaterals
- Outreach and network with inpatient/residential detox and rehabilitative treatment centers
- Act as an advocate and liaison for clients in securing emergency detox and rehabilitation care, and other community supports that promote integrated substance use or dual disorder treatment
Group Work/Individual Therapeutic Support:
- Run substance use support and Relapse Prevention groups
- Provide individual therapeutic support around substance use, relapse prevention, psychoeducation, and harm reduction based on motivational interviewing and cognitive behavioral responses to substance use
- Provide therapeutic support in a person/family-centered, strengths-based, recovery-oriented, trauma-informed, and culturally sensitive manner
- Contribute to person/family-centered, trauma-informed, recovery-oriented treatment planning
- High School diploma or GED
- Two years' experience navigating the substance use and mental health systems in NYC.
- CASAC (Master Level, Advanced Level, CASAC 2, CASAC, or CASAC-T)
- Background working with people with serious mental illness and/or people with involvement in the criminal justice system
Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
CASES is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment with CASES is based solely on qualifications and competence for a particular position, without regard to race, color, ethnic or national origin, age, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or marital, military, or citizenship status. We also actively recruit individuals with prior involvement in the criminal justice system. Your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
AddressNew York, NY
HealthcareView all jobs at CASES