Immigrants' Rights Legal Fellow
- Posted: over a month ago
Work Location: Anaheim, CA
Term: Temporary Full-time, 12-month program
Position Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Immigrants' Rights Associate Managing Attorney
Salary: $28.00 to $30.00 per hour commensurate with skills and experience
Requirements: Must have authorization to work in the United States and COVID-19 Vaccine
Generous Benefits: 100% employer paid medical and dental insurance for employee & dependents, 3% employer matched retirement plan, 12 vacation days, 10 sick days and 10 holidays, hybrid work schedule utilized through early July 2022. Expense reimbursements available, professional development offered.
NOTE: This position is part of a special program created using designated funds. Extension of the project will depend upon funding for employment beyond twelve (12) months. One year commitment required and continuation of the position for the rest of year with additional duties is contingent upon passing the bar exam in July 2022.
About Us: Join the largest American Muslim civil rights organization at the frontlines in protecting the rights of free speech, to freely practice one's faith, to pursue employment opportunities without harassment, to live as an active and engaged American without reprisal. The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) is a nonprofit 501(c)(3), grassroots civil rights and advocacy group. The national headquarters is located on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C., and offices across the nation. We recognize that our employees are passionate, talented and are our most valuable resource. With such an important vision to be a leading advocate for justice and mutual understanding, our diverse workforce stands together to demonstrate our values for everyone who chooses to join the efforts.
About the Role: Due to the influx of Afghan evacuees resettling in Southern California as parolees, the increased demand of immigration legal services has caused a significant strain on legal service providers. The Council on American-Islamic Relations - Los Angeles (CAIR-LA) seeks a fellow who is passionate about helping immigrants and refugees. We are seeking a fellow that will dedicate one year of hard work to assisting the Afghan community and other Muslim communities as needed with various humanitarian applications and family-based petitions that would lead to a pathway toward lawful permanent resident status. The fellowship will provide the opportunity to be immersed in immigration law and help others who likely would not have the resources to hire an attorney.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assess cases for eligibility for an immigration benefit and process intakes.
- Prepare asylum applications and other forms of humanitarian applications.
- Prepare adjustment of status and special immigrant visa and naturalization applications.
- Conduct community outreach to provide Know Your Rights & Immigration Benefit presentations or immigration webinars.
- Provide legal research, writing and administrative support
- Support with grant writing and produce reports.
- All CAIR staff are required to assist in general duties such as answering phones, weekly outreach, fundraising, and other office tasks as required.
- Be enrolled in an American Bar Association accredited law school with an expected graduation in 2022, OR recently graduated from American Bar Association accredited law school OR planning to take/have been already admitted to the California State Bar.
- Continuation of the position for the rest of year with additional duties is contingent upon passing the bar exam in July 2022
- Fluent in Dari or Pashto in addition to English required.
- Strong time management skills with a demonstrated ability for meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills with outstanding attention to detail.
- Comfort working productively in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including public speaking experience.
- Experience working with people from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.
- High degree of self-motivation and creativity.
- Access to a working vehicle and the ability to drive throughout the greater Los Angeles area. Travel reimbursement available.
- Occasional evenings and weekends work required.
- Occasional travel locally for outreach including participating in community events.
TO APPLY: Submit Cover letter, Updated resume, three references
Equal Employment Opportunity: CAIR-CA is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to compliance with all Federal, State, and local laws that prohibit employment discrimination based on age, race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status and other protected classifications.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
LegalView all jobs at CAIR LA