Case Worker/Legal Assistance/Translator
- Posted: over a month ago
Job Title: Case Worker/Legal Assistance/Translator
Work Location: Anaheim, CA Term: Temporary, Full-time, 6 months from date of hire Position Status: Non-exempt Reports to: Immigrants' Rights Associate Managing Attorney Salary: $15/hr.
About Us: Join the largest American Muslim civil rights organization at the frontlines in protecting the rights of free speech, to freely practice one's faith, to pursue employment opportunities without harassment, to live as an active and engaged American without reprisal. The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) is a nonprofit 501(c)(3), grassroots civil rights and advocacy group. The national headquarters is located on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C., and offices across the nation. We recognize that our employees are passionate, talented and are our most valuable resource. With such an important vision to be a leading advocate for justice and mutual understanding, our diverse workforce stands together to demonstrate our values for everyone who chooses to join the efforts.
About the Role: Will assist attorneys and DOJ accredited representatives with the preparation of various family-base and humanitarian-based immigration applications that will be filed with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The case worker will provide administrative support to help keep client files updated. The case worker will help with translation and interpretation as needed.
- Assist with gathering documents and information required to complete immigration forms and applications
- Prepare applications, petitions and forms as required by law within the jurisdiction of the USCIS and US Consulates/U.S. Department of States under the supervision of an attorney
- Provide referrals to other community-based agencies
- Translate documents from English to Dari/Pashto and from Dari/Pashto to English
- Participate in outreach and advocacy efforts
- Assist with providing interpretations during client meetings
- Perform office duties as assigned
- Other duties as assigned or approved by managing attorney
- Participate in know your rights information sessions for our communities
- Assist in the development and translation of informative/educational materials on immigration law
- Attend networking/collaborative meetings
- CAIR-CA requires a proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment before the date of hire.
- Full-time with occasional evenings and weekends required
- Occasional travel locally for outreach including participating in community events
- All staff are required to assist in general duties such as answering phones, weekly outreach, fundraising, and other office tasks as required
- Must speak Dari/Pashto
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills both in person and by phone, with high degree of professionalism
- Self-directed individual, strong organizational skills, and the ability to manage multiple ongoing initiatives
- Experience conducting outreach and working with volunteers
- Familiarity, knowledge, and experience working with the American Muslim community
- Work experience with a non-profit organization or in a related field
TO APPLY: Interested applicants must be enrolled in CalWORKs.
Equal Employment Opportunity: CAIR-CA is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to compliance with all Federal, State, and local laws that prohibit employment discrimination based on age, race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status and other protected classifications.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro