OSP Fiber Design Engineer - Mitchell, SD
The OSP Engineering Technician will be heavily involved in all Outside Plant design activities. These activities include gathering and recording field data, span measurements, ROW data, pole data, etc. Primary duties include staking and designing Outside Plant copper and fiber facility for delivery of voice, data, and video.
Additional position responsibilities include the following: Development of OSP planning/design documentation; design documentation; special drawings/plant records assignments. Incumbent will successfully meet or exceed business unit goals while maintaining quality standards, controlling expenses, and following company and business unit directives and practices.
Prepare OSP designs in AutoCAD or other graphical tools provided. OSP designs will include various aerial and buried designs (Homerun, CSA designs, etc.), Fiber/Copper designs, etc. Analyze, develop and recommend new OSP design approaches to meet requirements for new or improved OSP implementation projects and/or processes.
- Prepare construction sheets, construction unit tabulations and construction summary reports.
- Prepare ROW drawings and or assemble ROW permits.
- Prepare associated OSP construction installation drawings.
- Communicate, in writing project status, and other relevant information to CHR internal project management and OSP Director, to ensure project delivery and effective communication.
- Stay abreast of state of technologies in area of expertise.
- Participate in periodic audits of office and field operations to verify compliance with CHR’s contractual commitments and with procedural guidelines.
- Assist in the development of written OSP Design standards and procedures.
- Ability to travel 0-15% by car and/or plane may include weekend travel. Ability to travel internationally is required for some positions. Current valid driver’s license required.
- Develop and maintain technical competencies as defined by departmental management.
- Provide services in a professional manner, adhering to all CHR Solutions standards as identified in the Employee Handbook, the performance evaluation system, and other company and departmental programs and policies.
- Identify, meet and/or exceed client expectations within defined parameters related to delivery of services, quality, revenue, and sales goals.
- It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management and based on the needs of the business.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- Preference given to degrees and training in related fields.
- 2 years or more of experience in Telecommunications Outside Plant or Fiber Optic Design preferred.
- Experience and proficiency in specific computer skills, including effective utilization of windows-based applications, including MS Office (Word, Advanced Excel Applications, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Ability to receive and apply training to operate CHR internal software applications as well as new software applications as required by project/client.
- Honesty & Integrity - Demonstrates trustworthiness in all aspects of position; follows through on commitments; proactively accepts responsibility for actions and appropriately shares credit for successes; tells the truth tactfully; builds and develops strong trust with peers, management, and customers.
- Interpersonal Skills: Professionalism, Attitude, and Respectful Treatment of Others - Demonstrates maturity; focuses on resolving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality; keeps emotions under control; listens to others and is open to others' ideas and to try new things; approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of status or position;
- Communication Skills: Written & Verbal - Adjusts to audience; uses professional language. Verbal: Speaks openly, persuasively, and clearly; listens and seeks clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills; actively participates in meetings. Written: Writes clearly, informatively, concisely, and accurately; presents numerical data effectively; reads and interprets information.
- Commitment to Innovation & Continuous Quality - Displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; generates suggestions for improvements; develops innovative approaches/ideas; presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention; seeks ways to improve and promote quality; welcomes and applies feedback to improve; monitors own work to ensure quality; cross-trains to ensure knowledge and information are shared.
- Drive: Takes Initiative, Motivated, and Ambitious - Works independently; originates and/or completes actions or tasks with little to no supervision; asks appropriate questions to ensure understanding; digs in and stays to task without being easily distracted; desires to challenge and grow oneself professionally; seeks out new challenges.
IMPORTANT NEEDS to KNOW:
- Need to know or have knowledge of Windstream Indexing Design
- Need to know or have knowledge of CenturyLink FlexNAP Design
- Centralized and Distributed Methodologies and how to lay out splicing counts
- RUS experience is also preferable
- Mitchell, SD is the location. Or willing to relocate to Mitchell,SD