Performs entry-level habilitative and rehabilitative therapy work. Work involves providing habilitative and rehabilitative services to clients with mental impairments. Works under close supervision, with minimal latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
• Studies clients’ behavior to determine the need for and value of therapeutic activities and notes clients’ progress.
• Writes progress notes used to communicate client information to other staff.
• Accompanies clients to and from activities and appointments.
• Assists in instructing clients in therapeutic activities, such as arts, crafts, drama, music, printing, sewing, and recreation; and provides feedback regarding clients’ progress.
• Assists in the preparation of materials for therapeutic activities and maintains an adequate supply of materials.
• Performs housekeeping duties in therapeutic activity areas.
• Performs related work as assigned.
Knowledge Skills Abilities:
• Knowledge of the therapeutic methods and techniques in the rehabilitative therapy area of specialization, and of mental illness and mental disabilities.
• Ability to provide rehabilitative therapy and to communicate effectively.
Registration or Licensure Requirements:
Must possess valid Texas driver’s license or obtain it no later than 90 days after hire date. Applicants with an out-of-state driver’s license must provide an original certified driving record from the state of driving licensure. Eligible driving record required based on HHSC Fleet Management policy.
Initial Selection Criteria:
Experience in working or volunteering with people who have intellectual and developmental disabilities or in performing therapeutic work is preferred, but not required.
C C State Supported Living Center
Corpus Christi, TX