Chief Development Officer
Byte Back Washington, DC
- Posted: over a month ago
CHIEF DEVELOPMENT OFFICER
About Byte Back
For nearly 25 years, Byte Back has been providing a pathway of inclusive and relevant tech training that leads to meaningful careers in the tech industry. As a leader in both digital inclusion and digital equity, we serve and train more than 500 adults every year to help bridge the digital divide. Byte Back's students are predominantly people of color, women, and unemployed or underemployed adults. By the year of 2025, nearly 85,000,000 jobs will be lost to automation and machine learning. We exist to reskill these individuals to help them be marketable for 21st century jobs. On average, our graduates who are hired increase their annual earnings by more than $23,000. Byte Back believes everyone deserves to have access to tech skills that lead to gainful employment in order to reap the benefits that come from participating in the tech industry.
Byte Back's innovative approach and our leaders have been featured at SXSW, on TEDx, "The Root 100," Washington Business Journal, Technic.ly, Voice of America, NBC, and more.
About the Opportunity
We are seeking a dynamic Chief Development Officer to join Byte Back's senior leadership team. You will lead Byte Back's fund development efforts, strategically build Byte Back's portfolio of supporters, and increase our overall footprint in the social impact funding space. You will work in close partnership with our CEO to develop and successfully execute a comprehensive fundraising strategy to sustainably maintain our annual revenue goal. This is an ideal opportunity for a development leader who is looking to work with a values-aligned organization with a strong foundation and commitment to service. The Chief Development Officer will direct and implement development and fundraising efforts, including cultivating and stewarding relationships with individual donors, foundations, government agencies, and corporate partners. The Chief Development Officer will strategically deepen and diversify revenue generation, heighten Byte Back's visibility among key stakeholders, and ensure Byte Back's long-term sustainability.
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated history of executing successful individual, corporate fund development, and capital campaigns with outstanding results as well as experience with leveraging strategic foundation, corporate, and government grants opportunities. You should be competitive, driven, and self-motivated to meet and exceed revenue goals established by the CEO. You will be both detail-oriented and a strategic thinker and excel at communicating the mission of Byte Back.
About Your Responsibilities
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
- You will develop, manage, and regularly report progress against the strategic fundraising plan. Your plan will include cultivation and funder relationship management strategies and campaigns for foundations as well as other institutional funders and individuals. You will use existing tools like Salesforce and/or direct the creation of new tools for managing donor engagement, communications, priorities, and deadlines. The development team will work closely with the finance team on revenue forecasting and tracking as well as grant budget management and reporting.
- You will be a strategic thought partner with the CEO to pursue fundraising initiatives that reflect our annual objectives and strategies, including engaging in donor cultivation and proposal development that exemplifies our values and builds resources for Byte Back's mission.
- You will support your team as they manage the grant life cycle and draft grant reports.
- You will work with the leadership team to actively contribute to Byte Back becoming a digital equity and tech inclusion organization that reflects and embodies our core values.
- You will be supported in continuing to develop your own competencies as part of our organization-wide commitment to ongoing professional development.
- You will lead a partnership between the development team, the communications team, the finance team, and our program staff to develop and execute a communications strategy directed toward current and potential donors, raising our visibility nationwide, and keeping key stakeholders informed.
- You will work closely with our CEO to actively engage the board and build board support, including new board member cultivation and onboarding. When appropriate, you will engage board members in new donor identification and cultivation initiatives.
About Your KSA's
- You have 10+ years of progressively responsible leadership experience in development, some significant portion of which is focused on institutional/foundation giving, and at least 5 years of managerial, supervisory, or team leadership
- You have knowledge of contemporary conversations and opportunities in philanthropy, actively following development trends and thought leaders, and are familiar with major institutional funders whose work aligns with Byte Back's objectives.
- You are a strategic thinker who can manage details of budgeting, planning, and reporting while also holding the bigger picture of Byte Back's mission
- You have a proven track record of increasing organizational success by operationalizing a vision across an organization and using evaluation tools and metrics to support accountability.
- You have an equity-oriented understanding of how tech inclusivity and digital equity impacts lives, organizational culture, and partnerships, and are committed to a personal and professional practice around deepening this understanding, continuously learning, reflecting, and growing.
- You are a leader who builds relationships that foster trust and transparency across lines of differences by listening deeply, and offers direct, honest feedback with compassion and clarity of purpose.
- You are an inspirational, self-aware, curious, respectful, and relational leader with strong interpersonal skills fostering a sense of purpose and community, empowering your team to grow and develop professionally, and have high standards for holding yourself and others accountable. You have a proven record of collaborating, influencing, and encouraging others to shift mindsets.
- You are an effective, persuasive communicator with outstanding presentation, speaking, written, and nonverbal skills, who conveys information clearly and concisely, internally, and externally, with high emotional intelligence and sound professional judgment.
- You operate with a commitment to excellence, integrity, diplomacy, humility, and camaraderie.
- You have experience in a social justice nonprofit, preferably focused on equity, inclusive tech training, and workforce development.
Employee Compensation and Benefits: Salary is commensurate with experience
Byte Back is an equal opportunity employer and leads the nonprofit sector in offering a competitive benefits package which includes:
- Employer-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Pre-tax flexible spending
- Dependent care and transit accounts
- Paid vacation, Holidays, Personal days, and Sick leave
- 6-weeks of Paid Family Leave
- 403(b) with 1% employer match
- Employer-paid life insurance, and additional workplace subsidies
Byte Back provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender or gender identity, sex, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Think you have what it takes? Apply Now!
TechnologyView all jobs at Byte Back