The Staff Instrument & Controls \(I&C\) Engineer will work with either multi\-disciplinary or controls\-specific engineering teams to develop of Electrical & Controls Engineering design packages, perform calculations and develop engineering solutions in support of maintenance or capital projects in a variety of locations in the food & beverage, pharmaceutical / life sciences, consumer products and chemical industries\.
- Prepare control systems \(DCS and/or PLC\), Continuous Emissions Monitoring Systems \(CEMS\) and instrument contracts\.
- Develop detailed scope documents to identify how the upgrade/migration will be executed\.
- Develop one\-line diagrams, lighting and ground plans
- Conduct Power System studies
- Prepare instrumentation design deliverables, including Instrument List, Instrument Construction Specifications, Instrument Installation Details, and Instrument Location Plans\.
- Develop of piping and instrumentation diagrams \(P&ID's\) and equipment subcontract package specifications\.
- Prepare instrument and control system specifications, instrument and instrument valve data sheets, request for quotation \(RFQ\) and technical bid summaries\.
- Design control system logic and configuration, graphic interfaces, and Input/Output \(I/O\) lists\.
- Manage vendor I/O and instrument lists; coordinate I/O to determine partitioning of the control system hardware\.
- Verify and perform design calculations, project studies and report preparation\.
- Develop specifications and site study for design of systems; provide assistance with P&ID design including instrumentation and related mechanical design\.
- Evaluate technical bids and managing vendor contracts\.
- Review and approving vendor drawings\.
- Perform Factory Acceptance Tests, control wiring design, and logic design\.
- Provide technical assistance during commissioning at project site\.
- Perform quality reviews of project submittals\.
- Ensure compliance with company and site safety policies\.
- All other duties as assigned\.
- Prefer Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering but will consider Mechanical Engineering from an accredited program along with the necessary years of experience in controls and automation\.
- Engineer\-In\-Training \(EIT\) Certification recommended\.
- 4 years related experience\. Completion of master's degree in related field may be substituted for one year of experience\.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills\.
- Attention to detail\.
- Ability to clearly communicate both verbal and written technical information\.
- Must be proficient in the use of computer software \(i\.e\., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access\)\.
- Valid driver's license required\. In addition, must meet standards to qualify for and maintain the Company's vehicle driving privileges as outlined in the Company's Motor Vehicle Safety Policy\.
Job Instrumentation & Controls Engineering
Primary Location US\-IL\-Chicago
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
About Burns & McDonnell
Burns & McDonnell is making the world a more amazing place with more than 7,000 engineers, architects, construction professionals, scientists and consultants on staff and growing\. We strive to create amazing success for our clients and amazing careers for our employee\-owners\. We take on some of the world's toughest challenges with the industry's best thinking\.
We have offices and projects spanning the US and the globe\. We are proud to rank among FORTUNE magazine's 100 Best Companies to Work For\. Our culture of 100% employee ownership plays a major role in supporting that outcome\. Each employee shares in the ownership of the firm, bringing the commitment of an owner to our projects\. Clients appreciate that and have rewarded us with a 90% repeat business rate and decades\-long partnerships\. Pretty cool for a 100 year old firm that grows organically\.
At Burns & McDonnell, you'll have the opportunity to make a difference every day while fulfilling your personal and professional ambitions\. Our entrepreneurial culture lets you guide your destiny and shape the path your career travels\. And with more than 350 service specialties, your career and development options are abundant\.
Burns & McDonnell is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans
Req ID: 192372