NVO Auto Shop Technician
- $17 to $19 Hourly
The Auto Shop Technician will help maintain the Burning Man automotive fleet. As directed by the Auto Shop Manager, they will work in the Auto Shop and complete repairs and maintenance at the Black Rock Station Ranch (BRS) pre and post event, and on playa during the event.
This is a temporary, full-time, non-exempt role, based in Gerlach, NV running from April to November, 2023.
The deadline to apply for this role is 5:00 pm Pacific on May 2, 2023
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Maintenance and Repairs (70%)
- Function as a diagnostic and service mechanic for fleet vehicles and heavy machinery on the Ranch.
- Provide maintenance for all Burning Man Fleet vehicles.
- Perform vehicle service checks before a vehicle being released to an approved driver.
- Be available to respond to breakdowns or other service calls as they arise on an on-call basis and report work done with the Auto Shop Manager.
- As requested, assist with the transportation and delivery of completed fleet vehicles.
- Attend DPW Morning Meetings and Daily Auto Shop Team Meetings.
- Provide daily updates to the Fleet Tracker and Auto Shop Management of fleet availability and repair schedules.
- Notify the Auto Shop Manager when expendables or stock items need to be ordered.
- Work with Auto Shop Manager to properly and routinely dispose of fluids, recycling, and scrap.
- Maintain a safe, clean, organized Auto Shop and fleet storage area on the Ranch and the playa.
- Work with the Auto Shop Team to plan and execute LNT and Waste disposal plans.
Other Functions and Responsibilities (10%)
- Monitor personal wellbeing; set manageable work expectations. Proactively address concerns with Auto Shop Manager, Assistant Manager and/or COD Member.
- Track and submit your weekly hours on time.
- Ensure communications are prompt and professional and that needed discretion is maintained.
- Abide by the rules and codes of conduct described in the NVO Handbook, Ranch Protocols, and the Auto Shop S.O.P.
- Be familiar with and act in accordance with Burning Man’s staff policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
LEARNING AND TEACHING
- Knowledge sharing – Helps acculturate and educate junior staff in Burning Man culture and business processes.
- Documentation - Assists in the creation, publishing, and maintenance of process documentation related to their assigned duties.
- Learning – Pursues ongoing learning in their area of expertise, working to stay current on emergent knowledge, skills, and processes.
- Experience with and knowledge of most phases of automotive or heavy equipment maintenance, including the ability to repair or replace carburetors, blowers, generators, distributors, starters, and pumps.
- Working knowledge of and the ability to diagnose and repair, adjust, or replace: ignition and electrical systems, brakes, suspensions, and shock absorbers.
- Ability to replace headlights and install and repair accessories such as radios, heaters, mirrors, and windshield wipers.
- Experience with diesel engines.
- Ability to service a wide range of small air tools, two and four cycle engines, construction equipment, generators, air compressors, etc.
- Physically fit and able to lift heavy objects (minimum 50 pounds) safely; willing to get dirty
- Able to follow directions through to task completion.
- Adaptable; able to switch from project to project quickly and easily.
- Honest and ethical with a dedication to the Burning Man principles and behavioral standards.
- Dependable; fulfills obligations.
- Open to change and considerable variety in daily tasks.
- Able to accept feedback and maintain a professional demeanor.
- Instills and applies order and cleanliness to the work environment and pays careful attention to detail in handling equipment and essential information.
- A respectful and polite demeanor, able to provide services with care and offer thoughtful acknowledgment and accommodation of requests.
- Able to relocate to work at the Black Rock Station and seasonally at the Burning Man event held in Nevada.
- A basic understanding of hydraulics is a plus.
- First-Aid knowledge.
- It is helpful if the candidate has previously been to Burning Man and/or is familiar with its culture.
Note: If you have gained the necessary experience to succeed in this role and have acquired this experience in other ways, we encourage you to apply and share all relevant experience in your application.
- Must have a valid Driver’s License and a good driving record.
COMPENSATION:Individual compensation decisions are dependent on a variety of factors, including prior experience and geographical location. The anticipated pay rate for this position is $17 to $19 per hour.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Off-playa: This position requires periods of heavy lifting, bending, kneeling, squatting, and climbing. This position will be physically demanding, and requires individuals with good physical health, and endurance. This will also include the need to find and meet with department representatives who may not be in the vicinity therefore this could include walking or using some form of transportation. Some of the work will be in outside weather conditions and will be exposed to fumes or airborne particles as well as possible extremes in temperature.
- On-playa: This position requires periods of heavy lifting, bending, kneeling, squatting, and climbing. This position will be physically demanding, and requires individuals with good physical health, and endurance. This will also include the need to find and meet with department representatives who may not be in the vicinity therefore this could include walking or using some form of transportation. Some of the work will be in outside weather conditions and will be exposed to fumes or airborne particles as well as possible extremes in temperature.
NOTICE FOR ALL APPLICANTS:
- Burning Man Project celebrates the importance of creating a diverse environment and enthusiastically encourages Black, Indigenous, Peoples of Color, LGBTQIA+, Immigrant, women, and people with disabilities, of all ages, to apply.
- Burning Man Project provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
- Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
- Notice for Remote Opportunities: Burning Man Project is currently able to hire remote employees living/working in the following states: AZ, CA, CO, FL, ID, LA, MA, MI, MT, NC, NM, NV, NY, OR, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI. Working hours for all positions are based in Pacific Time.
Powered by JazzHR
Burning ManGerlach, NV
ManufacturingView All Burning Man Jobs
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.