- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Job Title: Dental Assistant
Department: Dental Center
Reports To: Dental Assistant Supervisor
Status: Local 153 - Non-Exempt
Summary: The primary responsibilities include but are not limited to: chair-side assisting of Dentists and Dental Hygienists during treatment and assessments, preparation of the dental operatory and instruments used in the practice of dentistry and dental hygiene, sterilizing, cleaning, maintaining dental equipment, and documenting (data entry) in the electronic dental record. Additional functions will include and not be limited to: administrative tasks related to patient care and standard operations. The Dental Assistant is aware of the philosophy, standards, objectives and policies of the Dental Center and the Funds.
- Prepares the operatory, applies protective barriers and procures instruments, lab cases and other necessary materials for the patient visit.
- Escorts patient into the clinical area and operatory
- Obtains radiographic images as prescribed by a dentist.
- Assists Dentists and Dental Hygienists with entering examination findings into the electronic dental record
- Assists the Dentist using 4-handed dentistry technique
- Escorts the patient to the appointment desk after clinical care
- Pours and trims plaster models as directed by the dentist
- Prepares laboratory cases for shipment, monitors progress of lab cases to ensure the case is available for the next appointment
- Collects and transports soiled instruments and cassettes to the Sterilization Room
- Returns materials and procedural tubs to the Supply Room
- Disinfects operatory equipment and surfaces touched by the operator, assistant or patient following each patient visit
- Monitors and stocks operatory materials and supplies to ensure clinical operations can continue without interruption during patient visits
- Performs daily, weekly and monthly maintenance on delivery unit and evacuation equipment using the Operatory Maintenance Check List in the assigned operatories
- Separates instruments, infectious waste, dental amalgam; rinses instruments cassettes and selected rotary instruments in the instrument washer and/or ultrasonic cleaner, wraps/bags instruments and cassettes, sterilizes the same in steam autoclave
- Maintains sterilization equipment according to departmental SOPs
- Monitors efficacy of autoclaves using biological monitor system, maintains a log of test results
- Participate in any/all of the Dental Center improvements geared towards operational excellence.
- All other duties assigned by Dental Assistant Supervisor and/or Dental Center Management Team
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Requirements: Certificate of completion from an accredited Dental Assistant School, detail oriented, ability to prioritize work load, good communication, interpersonal skills, team player, outstanding work ethic and employment record (including attendance and punctuality), computer skills, type 40 wpm.
Language Skills: Speak, read, write, and understand English
Reasoning Ability: High
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Certificate of completion from Accredited Dental Assistant School.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Under 1/3 of the time: Standing, walking, climbing or balancing, stooping, kneeling, couching, or crawling
- ½ to 2./3 of time: Sitting, reaching with hands and arms
- Over 2/3 of time: Talking or hearing
- 100% of the time: Using hands
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities.
- 1/3 to 2/3 of time: Work near moving or mechanical parts, moderate noise.
Building Service 32BJ Benefit Funds
AddressNew York, NY
HealthcareView all jobs at Building Service 32BJ Benefit Funds
Get fresh Full Time Dental Assistant jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.