Mid Level Physical Science Technician
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Mid-Level Physical Science Technician
Location: Beltsville, MD
Client: Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau; Scientific Services Division
Clearance: Public Trust; Must be willing to undergo a federal background investigation
The Scientific Services Division is responsible for supporting the Alcohol & Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau for the purposes of tax collection and consumer protection. The division has three laboratories: Beverage Alcohol Laboratory (Beltsville, MD), Nonbeverage Products Laboratory (Beltsville, MD), Tobacco Laboratory (Beltsville, MD) and Compliance Laboratory (Walnut Creek, CA). The duties would include the evaluation of samples and formulas of the regulated commodities. Current tasks performed by the laboratories include, but are not limited to:
Logging in of samples or formulas
Review of product formulations
Product classification and/or analysis for collection of revenue and protecting the public
Using established ISO 17025 accredited processes and methods
Providing technical support for the investigation of the illicit sale, production and distribution of alcohol or tobacco products
The contractor shall perform services including but not limited to the following:
· Independently assesses product formulations for product classification and test assignments. Coordinates sample assignments with chemists, and prepares laboratory samples and standards for analysis
· Independently inputs data into computer systems/data bases or instrumentation. Updates or revises databases or spreadsheets as instructed. Researches, locates, and retrieves information from databases or files. When necessary, files incoming material and maintains necessary records. Carries out data query, trend analysis, data mining, statistical analysis of data in the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) as requested by supervisor and chemists
· Independently performs routine sample analysis using established analytical methods and procedures. Collects data and enters data into the LIMS
· Assists chemists in methods development research
· Follows all laboratory, quality system, and safety protocols
· Carries out routine maintenance of laboratory equipment
· Participates in process improvement teams across divisions
· Responds to inquiries from industry members and other customers, both orally and in writing, on technical and non-technical concerns
· Informs supervisor on all emerging issues or atypical product submissions
· Contractor employees are required to complete internal training and proficiency testing as deemed appropriate by laboratory scientists based on tasks assigned. Failure to complete training as appropriate may be cause for replacement of staff
· Performs other routine and non-routine duties as assigned
· At least a 2-year degree from an accredited college or university leading to associate in chemistry, biochemistry, or physical science.
· Minimum of one years' experience as Physical Science Technician (PST) or technician in a laboratory setting working on data entry, data query, data mining, etc., using databases such as a modern LIMS.
· Experience in operation of analytical equipment such as HPLC and GC, as well as isolation and separation techniques such as column chromatography, liquid-liquid and solid-phase extraction, headspace, and distillation techniques, and their usage for technical problem solving is desirable.
Buffalo Horse Inc
Get fresh Physical Science Technician jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.