- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Position: Network Engineer
Position Summary: The key objective of the Network Engineer position is to understand, implement, test, and provide, primarily on-site support for the technical and integration requirements of Unified Communication (UC) projects and the client’s network architecture, which includes Cisco Unified Communications VoIP, Video, Presence, Mobile Device, Hosted Voice, Hosted Call Center Services, and Collaboration Applications.
Clearance Requirement: Must pass a State and Federal criminal history/security background check; must also successfully complete Maryland Department of Transportation fingerprint-based Criminal History Records Check (CHRC).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Analyze and evaluate networks, identify issues and recommend appropriate configuration changes and/or solutions to ensure networks are operating optimally for UC applications.
- Analyze, evaluate, test and troubleshoot Wi-Fi and security infrastructures as required to support UC initiatives.
- Communicate technical information to technical team members and non-technical personnel, including management and clientele.
- Provide technical support and expertise for network infrastructure remediation ad standardization efforts as required.
- Serve as UC network engineering SME coordinating with operational teams implementing design changes to existing network designs to mitigate risk to UC applications and systems.
- Provide support for daily network operations tasks such as firewall ACL changes and implementing repair items as required.
- Participate in design and deployment discussions.
- Deploy and release new UC hardware/software as required.
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs processes and procedures.
- Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions; displays orientation to client success; aligns work with client goals.
- Diversity – Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; educates others on the value of diversity; promotes a harassment- free environment.
- Verbal Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills; participates in meetings.
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
- Judgement – Displays willingness to make decisions; exhibits sound and accurate judgment; supports and explains reasoning for decisions; includes appropriate people in decision-making process; makes timely decisions
Education and Certification Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in an Information Technology field or 3-5 years’ experience in Network Operations administration.
- Cisco certifications: CCNA, CCNP, or CCIE (preferred)
Background and Experience:
- 3-5 years of network operations/network engineering experience
- Knowledge of layer 2/3 analysis and troubleshooting, TCP/IP routing, switching, network security and load balancing in a complex network environment.
- Experience performing network security.
Required Technical Skills:
- Possesses comprehensive understanding of network services such as TCP/IP, OSPF and EIGRP.
- Possesses in-depth understanding and practical knowledge of networking systems such as LAN, firewalls, routers and switches.
- In-depth knowledge of and experience with implementation, configuration, and test of complex routing and switching networks.
- Experience with Cisco ASR/ISR routers, Catalyst 2k, 3k, 4k and 9k switches.
- Comprehensive understanding of all IP protocols.
- Ability to conduct training and one-on-one mentoring concerning routing and switching technology.
- Scripting/automation experience is a plus (Python, Perl, Java).
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- General office environment. Work is generally sedentary in nature but may require movement about the office for up to 10% of the time. The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are not hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available.
- Contractor site with 0-10% travel possible
- Possible off-hours work to support releases and outages
- Occasional movement of small articles up to 10lbs
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time
- Continually operates a computer and other office productivity machinery
- Occasionally required to move self in different positions to accomplish tasks in various environment including tight and confined spaces
- Continually required to communicate information and ideas so others will understand
- Continually utilize visual acuity to operate equipment, read technical information, and/or use a keyboard
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equal Employment Opportunity Veterans/Disabled
AddressSilver Spring, MD
Get fresh Senior Network Systems Engineer jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.