- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Brown Emergency Medicine (Brown EM) is the academic emergency medicine physician practice plan of the Department of Emergency Medicine at the Alpert Medical School of Brown University. Brown EM provides emergency department staffing for Rhode Island Hospital, the only Level I trauma center in this region; Hasbro Children’s Hospital, Rhode Island’s only children’s specialty hospital; The Miriam Hospital, a leading community teaching hospital and Newport Hospital, a community Magnet Hospital. Brown EM member physicians and providers treat over 250,000 patients per year at our 4 clinical sites, drawing patients from Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Connecticut. As a non-profit foundation, Brown EM is committed to its mission and vision of academic and research support. Brown EM offers an excellent benefits package, including 85-90% employer-paid medical and dental, vision, employer-paid life insurance, long-term disability, paid time off, paid holidays and generous 401(k) retirement-plan.
Brown EM is currently seeking a highly motivated and professional Medical Coder who is responsible for timely and accurate abstraction, clarification, and computer input of the providers' services from medical records, utilizing the appropriate CPT-4 procedure codes and ICD-9-CM diagnosis codes. During the first 90 days of employment, Medical Coders will work on site learning department policies and procedures. This time frame may be adjusted depending on performance and other business circumstances.
Other responsibilities include:
- Assigns appropriate CPT-4 procedure codes for medical providers' services
- Assigns accurate ICD-10 CM codes to support the patients' need for the medical providers' services
- Communicates wit medical providers to obtain clarification on documentation
- Querying providers to ensure that all services performed are documented appropriately
- Keeps current with new and/or changing CPT-4 procedure codes and ICD-10 CM codes
- Maintains Brown EM's set accuracy percentage when coding medical charts
- Meeting the predetermined chart quota per hour
- Checking medical charts for accuracy and completion, reviewing missing chart lists, verifying signatures, and entering medical data in computer system/programs
- Prepares information and documentation for medical chart and CMS audits
- Identifies trends and problems with medical documentation and recommends solutions
- Utilizes computer system/program to input medical data
The qualifications for the position are:
- Must have Certified Professional Coder Certificate (CPC), Certified Coding Specialist-Physician based Certificate (CCS-P), Related Health Information Administrator (RHIA), or a related certificate with a minimum of 1-2 years of related medical coding experience
- Knowledge of ICD-10CM and CPT-4 coding and medical terminology
- Experience with practice management
- Excellent verbal communication and customer service skills
- Good computer/clerical skills
- Experience in Evaluation and Management Coding is preferred
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality; HIPAA compliance is essential
Successful candidate must submit to a background release form, demonstrate proof of being free from disqualifying information, and must possess a driver’s license and access to an insured vehicle as some transportation may be required.
All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves and others. Brown EM is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to provide a workplace free from harassment.
Brown Emergency Medicine
Get fresh Part Time Emergency Medicine Physician jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.