Director of Fair & Parks
Brown County Auditor Aberdeen, SD
- Posted: 26 days ago
Brown County is seeking a responsible individual for the position of Director of Fair & Parks
Organizes fundraising and sponsorship; plans and manages the Brown County Fair. Oversees and assists, when needed, with the maintenance of the Brown County Fairgrounds and Richmond Youth Camp.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Manages day to day activities of the Fair.
- Plans, organizes, and manages the Fair in consultation with the Board of Commissioners and Fair Board.
- Responsible for the enforcement and implementation of all policies as set forth by the Board of Commissioners and Fair Board.
- Assists in the development and implementation of short and long-range planning for the fair and properties. - Develop, promote and administer a marketing program for the annual fair.
- Responsible for the procurement of sponsors, sale of advertising and solicitation of donations.
- Promotes good public relations and program participation, providing representation of the department in the community; maintains contact with various community and state-wide organizations promoting the fair.
- Negotiates contracts and maintains relationships with preferred vendors.
- Responsible for providing budget information and recommendations to the Board of Commissioners, consistent with standard and acceptable fiscal managements procedures, in compliance with standard county policies and procedures. As well as accounting for funds received and disbursed in compliance with standard county and state requirements.
- Makes space reservations for exhibitors, concessions, and campers.
- Coordinates registration and payment procedures.
- Coordinates promotional advertising and corporate sponsorship activities.
- Organizes required catering services, security, electrician, sanitation, communication equipment setup, and other materials required for various events at the fair. - Attend Fair Board meetings.
- Work with Cities, County, and personnel to coordinate services for the Brown County Fair.
- Responsible for the day to day operations and maintenance of the Brown County Fairgrounds and the Richmond Youth Camp - Schedule events on Fairgrounds or Richmond Youth Camp
- Maintain buildings and grounds - Supervising department staff, equipment maintenance, and policies and procedures.
- Represent Fair and Parks at Commission meetings and public meetings.
- Develop and implement departmental goals and objectives.
- Stress Management/Composure.
- Dealing successfully with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, in person and over the telephone. - Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Accounting and finance principles and standards.
- Management and supervisory principles and practices.
- Teamwork Orientation. o Performing basic office support work.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with the Fair Board, the Board of Commissioners, staff and the general public.
- Decision Making.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Develop, implement and control, purchasing, grant writing and record keeping.
- Develop and implement departmental goals and objectives.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Communicating effectively in oral and written forms.
- Principles and techniques of public relations and customer service, both in person or over the phone.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one settings and group situations.
- Effectively respond to the Fair Board, Board of Commissioners and the general public.
- Effective marketing and promotional techniques.
- Technical Capacity. o Use of computer applications.
- Establish and maintain accurate records of assigned activities and operations.
- This position has supervisory responsibilities
- Work is subject to performance at both indoor and outside environments; outside work may occur on a frequent basis and requires exposure to dust, fumes, or high noise levels and extreme weather conditions.
- Typical office environment. But work may be subject to extreme weather conditions including heat, rain, wind, dust, and noise.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
- Reaching: extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
- Dexterity: picking, pinching, typing or otherwise working primarily with fingers rather than the whole hand or arm as in handling.
- Grasping: applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm.
- Talking: expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken work.
- Hearing: perceiving the nature of sounds without major correction.
- Repetitive motions: substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands and/or fingers; bend, balance, climb, pivot, stoop, lift, stand, kneel, or squat.
- Vision: close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Light Work: Regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds; frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds; occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Position Type / Expected Hours of Work:
- Full-time; Hours: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday thru Friday.
- During the Brown County Fair, work hours are not confined to a designated schedule, but shall be determined by the time required to manage the operation of the Fair and all activities.
- Periodic travel for training may be necessary for this position.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in public or business administration, marketing, hospitality or closely related field or five (5) years of Fair management or equivalent experience including budgeting, contract negotiations, accounting and promotion or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
Required Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations:
Continued employment is contingent upon all required licenses and certificates being maintained in active status without suspension or revocation.
- Must be 18 years of age and a U.S. citizen.
- No felony convictions
- Possess or be able to obtain a valid SD driver’s license
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Click APPLY to submit your resume today!
Brown County Auditor
HealthcareView all jobs at Brown County Auditor