Brown & Brown of Florida's Daytona office is seeking an exceptional and dynamic finance professional with proven discipline and commitment, to join our team as Accounting Leader Trainee.
Primary responsibility will involve training to manage accounting and financial functions for the Daytona Retail profit center and Brown Florida Region. This trainee role is structured to train and develop a talented teammate to grow into an Accounting Leader. It would be expected to train 1-2 years in our Daytona office, and to later transition to an Accounting Leader role when the need arises. This is an excellent opportunity for goal-oriented individuals interested in professional development and career growth.
Essential Duties and Functions include the following:
- Become familiar with and assist in completing all branch daily accounting functions including cash receipts, cash disbursements, journal entries, and vendor/insurance company payables.
- Become familiar with and prepare branch financials and train in all corporate guidelines including the Brown and Brown Accounting Guidelines.
- Become familiar with and participate in the accounts receivable process
- Learn and perform the surplus lines process of filing taxes with the state, paying taxes to the state, and notifying account managers of any items not filed.
- Learn the invoice and check approval process.
- Learn and perform all month-end procedures including month-end journal entries, the month-end workbook, cost allocations from the administration and suspense departments to the B-40 departments, and running all month-end reports including financial statements and subsidiary ledgers that agree to the general ledger control accounts.
- Prepare and distribute internal departmental performance reports.
- Learn and prepare all (SOX Control Self-Assessments). This includes AR/ICP, Payroll/Flux, SAB 101, Data Retention, Segregation of Duties, and the Bank Reconciliation CSAs.
- Train in and perform payroll and human resources functions.
- Learn how to calculate and how the system calculates producer commissions payable and how to review the report detail to catch calculation errors and ensure accurate payments are made to the producers.
- Participate with budget preparation and learn the entire budget process.
- Work the Accounting Leader on special projects including but not limited to: a comprehensive review of broker agreements and revenue recognition policies and a comprehensive review of producer compensation structures and updating the producer supplement forms.
- Obtain Insurance certifications. An education plan will be created within the first 2 weeks of employment.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- 3+ years' experience in Accounting
- Technical accounting skills including Excel skills, knowledge of GAAP, and accounting policies and procedures
- Strong in planning, organizing, good interpersonal skills, oral and written communication
- Problem Solver, Accuracy, Adaptability
- Bachelor's Degree required in Accounting or Finance preferred. MBA/MACC/CPA a plus
- MS Office Suite Proficiency