- Provide chronic hemodialysis therapy and formulating a dialysis plan for ultra-filtration, initiating dialysis via various accesses, complying with all safety measures, and monitoring patient vital signs applicable to ESRD patients according to plan of care.
- Administer Medications, fluid therapy or other appropriate treatments per physician orders; document in the patient treatment record.
- Perform patient assessment including vital signs and all other parameters of the ESRD patients, review dialysis orders, determine general physical and mental condition of patient through observations and interview, assist in determining compliance to dietary or medication regimen, document compliance to dietary or medication regimen, document all observations appropriately.
- Analyze patient data: assess and monitor status of vascular accesses, review lab work, patient assessments, and report any changes or abnormalities to Nephrologist and or the Charge Nurse/Nurse Manager.
- Monitor Equipment.
- Prepare and monitor dialysis machines and systems.
- Maintain dialyzer records and prepare and/or oversee dialysis water treatment system according to established procedures.
- Inform the Charge Nurse, and Administrator of any malfunctions.
- Obtain machine and water cultures as requested.
- Document patient medical records appropriately.
- Ensure availability of supplies.
- Participate proactively in quality improvement programs.
- Adherence and compliance to Brooklyn Dialysis Center policies and procedures in accordance with state and federal regulations for patient care and services (CMS, OSHA, HIPAA or other governing agencies.)
- Adherence and compliance with all state or federal regulations of the Employee Health and Safety Training Program.
- Adherence and compliance with Brooklyn Dialysis Center clinical and safety standards, Policy, Procedure and Guidelines and all safety regulatory requirements, supporting survey readiness at all times.
- Review pre and post-dialysis care with patient.
- Discuss health concerns with patient; review patient concerns with Nephrologist and/or Charge Nurse/Nurse Administrator as required.
- Provide ongoing patient education.
- Administer quality patient care in a considerate, respectful manner.
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED:
- Preceptorship of new orientees to the facility.
- Work overtime with little or no notice as needed.
- Attend team meetings, phone conferences, quality improvement meetings, educational activities, and training as needed or required.
- Meet all annual competency and skills tests/checklists as applicable.
- Adherence and compliance with employee guidelines, employment policies, and company procedures.
- Consistent, regular, punctual attendance as scheduled.
- Knowledgeable regarding facility emergency plans and demonstrate ability to act swiftly, confidently and safely in an emergency situation.
- (Education, licenses, certifications, and experience required to fulfill the essential duties, include computer skills as required).
- A.D.N. degree from accredited school of nursing required.
- B.S.N. degree from accredited school of nursing preferred.
- Current RN License in state of practice.
- CNN or CDN Preferred.
- Current CPR certification required.
- Completed training program approved by the medical director and the governing body as required by CMS guidelines prior to operating the water system.
- Basic computer skills and proficiency in MS Word and Outlook required; functional proficiency in all computer systems specific to Brooklyn Dialysis Center.
- Fluent in the written and verbal skills necessary to perform responsibilities of the position.
- Ability to understand medical terminology.
- Vision adequate to perform essential duties and responsibilities of position.
- Ability to pass color vision test if applicable.
- Physical requirements can vary. These must be reviewed with management. However, in general, the position requires the following physical activities.
- Ability to lift minimum of 5 lbs. to a maximum of 35 lbs. unassisted and able to perform repetitive standing, sitting stooping, walking, stretching, reaching, and use full range of body motions.