We are looking for a passionate and practical electrical engineer (EE) to help design our consumer lighting products and to be part of a passionate engineering team with a positive, inclusive, results oriented culture. The individual will be part of the Boston Technology and Innovation team, reporting to Director of Engineering and responsible for helping the Product Management Team to define new products. In this role, you will lead the necessary efforts to; prototype, define features and specifications, which will demonstrate and refine critical features and specs, gauge feasibility, and cost, and produce technical specifications of the concept product, that can be handed off to the overseas product development team and our manufacturing partners. The successful candidate will thrive in a fast-paced technology development environment involving power conversion, user interfaces, and digital communications.
The right candidate will have a deep understanding of fundamental EE principles and be able to use a mix of off-the-shelf solutions and custom designs to yield answers to complex problems quickly. This critical engineering role will give the savvy designer plenty of opportunities to use and expand numerous facets of their engineering knowledge while yielding valuable experience. The perfect candidate is defined by intelligence and curiosity, with the ability to quickly understand the critical details of the design challenges and ensure they achieve their design goals on time.
On-the-job learning is expected while contributing to projects. This entails working closely with our overseas product development team, external technical consultants, engineering firms, and industrial design firms. Overall, you will be able to make substantial technical contributions in an environment that turns technical challenges into product successes, with a high degree of self-direction.
Keywords: electrical engineer, hardware design, firmware, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, WiFi, battery management, lighting, sensors, connected devices, IoT, Alexa, Google Home, Voice Control, power supply, power converter, circuit design, consumer electronics, BSEE
Roles and Responsibilities
- Design, build, analyze, and troubleshoot electrical solutions focused on modern residential lighting devices.
- Perform schematic capture and PCB layout, use various digital and analog test equipment, ensuring that the design specifications are met or updated, as necessary, to reflect changing requirements and/or design realities.
- Lead Design for Manufacture process.
- Conduct Accelerated Life testing and life expectancy modeling.
- Design or supervise vendor to develop embedded software to support wireless communication, secure device commissioning, local user experience/interface, and software update.
- Coordinate new designs and design changes with product management, technical writing, and production team, ensuring that both product and customer documentation is correct and up-to-date.
- Support manufacturing by resolving manufacturability and reliability problems as they develop.
- Train and supervise the work of Technicians and Interns, assuming responsibility for their work and ensuring accurate and timely completion of tasks.
- Demonstrated project management and presentation skills.
- Proven ability to generate decisions through data.
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment.
Requirements and Personal Characteristics
The person appointed to this role will be enthusiastic, imaginative, optimistic, and keen to work as part of a cross-functional team. They need to build strong working partnerships across the organization and need to be the voice for the overseas product development team.
To be considered, the right candidate will have:
- BSEE with 5 years (MSEE or PhD with 1~5 years) of hands-on product development experience in industry, ideally in design roles.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience and demonstrated ability to meet the guidelines of the position.
- Strong analog and digital circuit design and PCB layout skills. Must be competent with digital signals, inter-chip communication, block-level design, and selection of semiconductors.
- Multiple consumer wireless product designs using 2.4GHz radio technology. Prefer Bluetooth, WiFi, or Zigbee.
- Strong understanding of power management and ultra-low power hardware and embedded software development. Knowledge of total system power requirements and battery specification.
- Proficient in C or C++ embedded software development, either bare metal or small footprint RTOS.
- Proficient with peripheral buses including I2C, SPI, and UART.
- Previous software driver integration experience (radio module driver, memory chip driver).
- Expertise working with offshore manufacturing. Understands all aspects of transitioning from design to production including Bill of Materials, Engineering Change Management, long-lead components, and DFM.
- Familiar with interaction between PCB layout and mechanical engineering and factory assembly.
- Rigorous attention to detail with focus on robustness, scalability, and quality of products.
- Self-motivation and the discipline to thoroughly test and vet circuit designs.
- Organized with strong communication skills and a customer service mentality.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously in a small, fast-paced environment.
- Competitive compensation package
- An office located in Boston, just off the transit line
- Onsite parking
- Stocked kitchen with snacks
- Employment with the Company is at will employment
- Applicants must be authorized to work within the United States
- Offers of employment may be contingent upon successful background checks and/or drug screening
- We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status or genetic information.