Brightworks Sustainability is seeking an experienced Building Energy Analyst (Energy Analyst). This person will perform building energy analysis tasks using specialized software and custom calculations to quantify energy efficiency opportunities. The analyst may also help develop recommendations to optimize proposed building systems, envelope, passive strategies, and controls on new commercial/institutional buildings and major renovations. The analyst’s tasks would also include the generation of as-designed energy models, and documentation required for energy incentive programs, green building certifications (e.g., LEED), and code compliance. The Energy Analyst position is part of Brightworks’ Energy Group, reports directly to a Principal and will be assisting other company staff to support their green building consulting and certification needs.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Extract energy efficiency related design features from drawings, specifications, and verbal feedback by the design team, and juxtapose them to baseline requirements (e.g., ASHRAE 90.1, common practice).
- Perform energy simulation computer modeling for complete commercial/institutional buildings, including advanced HVAC and DHW systems.
- Provide calculations for typical process and plug loads as well as custom analysis for manufacturing, information technology, and other loads.
- Develop strategies to achieve higher levels of energy performance.
- Interact with clients during all project phases. Document and communicate discussions and resolutions with project team members to align deliverables to the project scope.
- Prepare and maintain LEED documentation for energy-related credits.
- Prepare and submit energy code compliance permit applications.
- Keep abreast of the latest advancements and technologies for energy efficiency, and share knowledge with the rest of the staff.
- Keep abreast of the latest in energy modeling software and technologies.
- Follow company quality processes to deliver projects that exceed our client expectations resulting in long term relationships beneficial to the client and company.
- Provide input to the senior staff to help win projects and meet the company’s profitability criteria.
This person will have the ability to model a complete building and its systems using software tools, such as eQuest, EnergyPlus, Energy Pro, TAS, and/or IES-VE. Preferably a trained engineer or experienced architect who has incorporated simulation to optimizing building energy performance in his/her work.
Familiarity with the modeling protocols for the LEED rating system or incentive programs is expected (e.g., ASHRAE 90.1, Appendix G, SEED Appendix L). Basic proficiency of Revit, along with early energy modeling programs such as Green Building Studio, is a plus.
- Mid-level with 3-6 years of experience in building energy simulation and efficiency consulting.
- A basic understanding of the LEED certification process and credits.
- Preference for experience using the following energy simulation software programs: eQuest, EnergyPlus, Energy Pro, TAS, IES-VE.
- A good understanding of MEP systems, ideally due to engineering design practice.
- Bachelor degree or higher, and advanced degree or specialized training in engineering or architecture. Preference for mechanical engineering, building science, or energy engineering degrees.
- Ability to obtain professional licensure (R.A. or P.E.) and accreditations such as CEM or BEMP.
- Revit experience is preferred.
This position may be filled in any of our offices in Portland (OR), Eugene (OR), Berkeley (CA), or Los Angeles (CA).