A leading global manufacturer of innovative food packaging products and solutions is looking to hire a Machine Shop Manager for their Fort Wayne facility.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinating budget requirements and job timelines when dealing with suppliers.
- Improving enhancement and acquisition of raw materials.
- Create a process for new tools and modifications for existing tools.
- Develop individual tooling mechanics to improve performance, adherence to (and creation of) standards, understand manufacturing needs and provide complete support for tooling start-ups and qualification.
- Management of Tool Mechanic staff, including mentoring junior members, establishing growth plans, setting goals for all members, and setting minimum achievement requirements.
- Ownership for deliverables
Performance and Process Improvement
- Oversight of the effective/efficient running of the tool room; including driving the ongoing development and growth of this department.
- Review of all new tooling design with each member of the Tool Engineering group, ensuring the accomplishment of goals for each specific project.
- Understand limitation and tolerance of equipment.
- Participate with tooling technicians in all plants to ensure continual improvement program for tooling, modification projects as required, and support process upgrades on equipment to improve performance.
Best Practice Implementation
- Maintain, establish, and revise the system of tool machining standards to enable faster completion of projects.
- Provide a program for New Tooling mechanics to assist in Fabrications during tooling trials and qualifications as required.
- Prepare weekly and monthly reporting to Tooling Engineering Manager of project schedules, cost, and performance of Tool Shop.
- Participate in Weekly Plant Tooling Performance Meeting
- Handle other projects and duties as assigned.
- Work in accordance with all company policies and procedures regarding employment, safety, quality, product safety and legality, security, and regulatory compliance as applicable.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- CNC Programmer experience with Machine Centre, CNC lathe, etc. as well as manual based drills, lathes, milling machines, grinders, and Wire EDM
- Experience with CAM packages such as MasterCAM, GibsCAM, etc. SolidWorks experience will be a plus. Programming skills will be a plus.
- Able to meet time constraints and prioritize work. Capable of organizing and multitasking, Communication and negotiation skills
- Up-to-date computer skills including knowledge of CAD system software, and user capability of Microsoft Office
- Experience or knowledge of thermoforming process and trim components a plus
- Knowledge/skilled in the manufacture of die sets and components a plus
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum BS or relevant technical degree.
- Machine Shop Experience
- Able to read blueprints
- Able to develop and manage department budgets
- Minimum 5 years Tool Shop / Tool Fabricator
- Minimum 3-5 years managing Mechanics or technical group.
Compensation commensurate with experience. Relocation assistance provided, if necessary.