- Posted: over a month ago
- $800 Weekly
Greenhouse Intern (Summer Internship)
At BrightFarms, we exist for two reasons - People and our Planet. We use state of the art indoor farming technology to produce pesticide-free products that are insanely fresh and delicious. We are dedicated to our mission of reducing the environmental impact of food and having a simple and easy to trace supply chain that serves our local communities where we grow. We hire great people and treat them very well and the Operations team is looking to add a Greenhouse Intern to our team for Summer 2023. The summer greenhouse intern position will be based at one of our six hydroponic farms and will last approximately 10 weeks.
In this role you will help assist with the greenhouse growing and production of hydroponic baby greens and will complete a summer-long research project that will conclude with a final presentation. In addition, the Greenhouse Interns will be considered for future Apprentice Grower or Greenhouse Operations positions at BrightFarms’ existing and/or future facilities.
Compensation: $800/week; plus a $500/week housing stipend (if relocating for role)
Specifically, the Greenhouse Intern will:
• Work with grower and farm operations teams and mentors to identify a focused research project to complete by the end of their internship and present their findings/solutions to senior leadership at the end of the intern experience
• Learn how to grow and operate in a hydroponic greenhouse (deep water culture or mobile gutters) to produce fresh, safe, high-quality greens
• Support Growing, Food Safety and Quality, and/or Operations Team to ensure that daily crop needs are met that guarantee high quality and yield
• Assist with sampling and data collection in all growing operations
• Scout crops for disease and stress and assist in root cause analysis and remedies
• Assist in greenhouse specific IPM (integrated pest management) strategies
• Help to ensure an environment that complies with all food and human safety standards
• Experience each step of our process (from seeding the crop all the way to packaging and shipping the final product)
The ideal candidate will:
• Currently be working towards a degree in Horticulture/Floriculture/Biology, Ag Operations, or Ag Business or a related field
• Be detail oriented and data driven
• Display excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Be proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
• Can meet the physical requirements of the job including lifting up to 50 pounds.
• Be a self-starter and a problem solver with strong relationship building and communication skills. Ability to navigate a dynamic and quickly evolving environment is a must.
Climate: You will be working in the Cooler (35F-40F), Greenhouse (75F-85F), and Headhouse (60F-90F) environments for part or all your shift and will dress accordingly.
Employees will have some exposure to seasonal conditions which may range from extreme heat and humidity in the summer to cold in the winter. Often working near moving mechanical parts. There will be exposure to cleaning chemicals. The noise level of machines and cooling units can be loud. May occasionally get wet. Steps and floors may be slippery.
• Proof of vaccination - all new hires must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 before their start date
• Heavy standing, crouching, and kneeling
• Ability to lift 50lbs
• Clear correctable vision and uncompromised peripheral vision to notice safety hazards
BrightFarms is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values the unique experience and backgrounds our Associates bring!
Come grow with us - the future is BRIGHT!
BusinessView all jobs at BrightFarms Inc
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?