Legal Secretary - Litigation - Some Work from Home Days
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WOULD BE IN THE CHICAGO LOOP OFFICE TUESDAY, WEDNESDAY and THURSDAY and WORK FROM HOME ON MONDAY and FRIDAY!
Performs a variety of secretarial duties for immediate supervisor(s) to whom assigned according to established policies and procedures. Maintains positive contact with clients, attorneys and staff and observes confidentiality of client matters. Some overtime required. Advanced skills in most software packages required. A minimum of five years on the job experience as a legal secretary with litigation experience in a law firm necessary.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Operates a computer, word processing software, copier as needed.
2. Prepares correspondence, memoranda and other legal documents from written and oral drafts. Drafts standard correspondence, and other documents.
3. Processes incoming mail; ensures that outgoing mail is timely delivered. If necessary, routes mail to specific delivery service and follows up on timely delivery.
4. Establishes and maintains calendar and deadline reminder systems; utilizes master calendar system.
5. Maintains an organized electronic and/or paper filing system according to department standards.
6. File pleadings/motions including ECF within the court systems (USDC, State, Appellate, etc.).
7. Keep up-to-date on changing court filing requirements.
8. Screens telephone calls and take messages for attorneys.
9. Makes appointments for immediate supervisor(s).
10. Works closely with administrative support staff (word processing, office services, receptionists, etc.); proofs documents returned from word processing.
11. Receives clients and visitors; maintains good public relations with clients; observes confidentiality of attorney-client relationship.
12. Opens new client/ matter requests, requests conflict of interest checks amongst existing records and clients and maintains all client and general files. Drafts engagement and audit letters. Conducts periodic review for possible storage of older files; prepares files to be closed.
13. Enters billable time prior to each month’s end; processes bills; proofs billing sheets; reviews and edits bills; transmits final invoices to the respective clients.
14. Manages travel planning and reimbursement of expenses.
15. Performs overflow typing, time entry and/or photocopying, etc. as time permits and as requested by other attorneys/paralegals and/or the Human Resources Department.
16. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
1. At a level normally acquired through completion of high school or equivalent, the ability to read and write using proper punctuation, grammar and spelling in order to proof and perform editing of routine law office correspondence and legal documents. Maintain records and filing systems in a highly organized and efficient manner.
2. Ability to transcribe legal documents, correspondence and reports from rough draft.
3. Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints.
4. Work requires a high level of attention to detail with the ability to complete work accurately and in a timely manner.
5. Interpersonal skills necessary to effectively communicate with and to follow instructions from a diverse group of clients, attorneys and staff in person, by e-mail and telephone and to provide information with ordinary courtesy and tact.
6. Work occasionally requires a high level of critical thinking and mental effort while producing a high volume of information and performing other essential duties.
7. Work occasionally requires more than 35 hours per week to perform the essential duties of the position; occasionally requires overtime as needed based on supervisors’ workloads.
8. Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word required and experience with the following functions/features are required: generating table of authorities; generating table of contents and other indexes; mail merge; Styles; tables (creating and manipulating); multi-level paragraph numbering; document compare, including saving redlines into iManage and sending redlines via email.
9. Basic knowledge of Microsoft Excel required, including creating and formatting spreadsheets, sorting data, simple formulas, mail merges and printing.
10. Basic knowledge of Outlook required, including using email, scheduling and calendar invites, creating distribution lists, and saving email into iManage.
11. Basic knowledge of PowerPoint desired including creating, editing and printing presentations.
12. Experience with basic office equipment.
13. Experience with Aderant Software (time and billing software) desired.
14. Experience with iManage.
15. Experience with PDF document conversion software a plus.
16. Knowledge of PACER and other legal software.
17. Knowledge of electronic Table of Authorities program a plus.
18. Basic knowledge of Westlaw a plus.
19. Basic knowledge of Relativity a plus.
20. Ability to download and print documents from a website.
21. Adherence to all firm policies and procedures.
22. Consistent and predictable attendance required.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT:
1. Work is normally performed in a typical office work environment at an assigned secretarial station.
2. Overtime occasionally available and occasionally required to meet deadlines as needed.
3. Limited physical effort required and very limited exposure to physical risk.
Bridge Professional Services
LegalView all jobs at Bridge Professional Services