Title: Preschool Assistant Teacher
FLSA: Non-Exempt; Part-time (up to 20 hours per week)
Location: Breakthrough-FamilyPlex 3219 W. Carroll Ave. Chicago, IL 60624
We are Breakthrough:
Educators have identified early childhood education as one of the most critical necessities for preparing urban youth for academic success. Breakthrough Beginners, an early childhood education program, equips young children with a strong academic foundation for kindergarten and fosters social and emotional development in youngsters.
The Assistant Teacher performs various tasks including but not limited to:
- Assist in establishing and maintaining an environment for children which is clean, safe, stimulating and appropriate for each child’s developmental level.
- Promote healthy eating practices through participating in family style meals and planning and implementing nutritional activities.
- Work collaboratively with center staff to meet and maintain licensing requirements.
- Assume the role of leadership in absence of the teacher.
- Interact with children in accordance with developmentally appropriate practices as established by NAEYC and ExceleRate Illinois guidelines.
- Manage classroom through positive redirection, problem solving, setting appropriate limits, and active listening.
- Support Lead Teacher in development and implementation of daily, weekly, and monthly lesson plans and assist with implementation.
- Communicate parent questions or concerns to Lead Teacher or Director.
- Communicate your concerns about a child’s development to Lead Teacher or Director.
- Promote and support a welcoming environment by welcoming each child and family at arrival and departure.
- Maintain the daily schedule of the room.
- Assist in observation and documentation of individual progress through anecdotal notes, development checklist, portfolio assessments, and other screenings.
- Attend staff meetings, parent meetings, and other mandatory professional development meetings.
- Keep open communication with staff and co-workers.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding staff, families, and children at all times.
Must have achieved an associate’s degree from an accredited college or university with 24 semester hours in courses related directly to child care and/or child development form birth to age six; and 1 year experience in a licensed child care center. Level 4 Early Childhood Credential through Gateways to Opportunity.
In exchange for the above, we offer competitive wages and a comprehensive benefit package including: free fitness center membership, employee discounts and more.
Send/email/fax cover letter and resume to:
Breakthrough Urban Ministries Attn: Human Resources
402 N. St. Louis Avenue
Chicago, IL 60624
Fax: (773) 722-1434
We regret that we cannot take phone calls regarding this position. Breakthrough is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, or any other non-merit factors. If a reasonable accommodation is needed for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact us via the telephone number listed above. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.