Title: Preschool Lead Teacher (with Type 04/PEL)
FLSA Exempt; Full-time
Location: Breakthrough-FamilyPlex 3219 W. Carroll Ave. Chicago, IL 60624
We are Breakthrough
Educators have identified early childhood education as one of the most critical necessities for preparing urban youth for academic success. Breakthrough Beginners, an early childhood education program, equips young children with a strong academic foundation for kindergarten and fosters social and emotional development in youngsters.
The Lead Teacher performs various tasks including but not limited to:
- Act in compliance with DCFS regulations and City of Chicago Regulations
- In the absence of the Director, the Lead Teacher will act as the Director Designee and will manage and oversee the daily operations of the Beginners (ensuring compliance with DCFS licensing, food program requirements, Grants, daily/weekly program paperwork such as attendance sheets, parent sign-outs, opening & closing the center, etc.)
- Provide, direction, oversight, and coaching to the assistant teacher
- Establish and maintain an environment for children which is clean, safe, stimulating and appreciate for each child’s development.
- Promote healthy eating practices through participation in family style meals and planning nutritional activities.
- Develop, plan, and implement daily, weekly, and monthly lesson plans.
- Assist with the coordination of special events, such as: annual Christmas party, field trips, Awards Night, etc.
- Assist with “Parent Partnership” efforts including events, workshops, family contacts, meetings, and conversations.
- Work collaboratively with the Director and staff throughout the accreditation process for center and staff (Gateways to Opportunity, NAEYC, ExceleRate Illinois)
- Advocate on behalf of early childhood education and Breakthrough youth programs at the community, city, and state level.
- Ensure that routines are carried out in a manner that is prompt and consistent with good child development principles.
- Ensure the children’s safety through constant supervision, effective arrangement of space, proper maintenance of equipment, and regular practice of fire drills and other emergency procedures.
- Other duties and tasks that are assigned to support the mission and vison of Breakthrough
Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education or Child Development with a Type 04 or PEL certificate in Education with a Gateways Level 5 ECE credential.
In exchange for the above, we offer competitive wages and a comprehensive benefit package including: paid time off, group health benefits, free fitness center membership, employee discounts and more.
Send/email/fax cover letter and resume to:
Breakthrough Urban Ministries Attn: Human Resources
402 N. St. Louis Avenue
Chicago, IL 60624
Fax: (773) 722-1434
We regret that we cannot take phone calls regarding this position. Breakthrough is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, or any other non-merit factors. If a reasonable accommodation is needed for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact us via the telephone number listed above. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.