Salary: $38,000 - $45,000 per year (commensurate with years of full-time teaching experience)
We are recruiting Math Teachers (Grades 4-8) committed to urban education to join the Breakthrough Schools team for the 2020-2021 school year. As a teacher, you will hold primary responsibility for the development and implementation of your school’s curriculum and the success of your students. Breakthrough Schools is a non-profit organization supporting the highest-performing network of 12 tuition-free, K-8 public charter schools in Cleveland, Ohio. Our mission is to develop a growing network of distinctive school options that prepare Cleveland area students for success in life.
Teaching at Breakthrough Schools is a rewarding experience where you will work on a staff dedicated to making an impact on the lives of Cleveland students. Since teachers play such an important role in student achievement, we provide opportunities for teachers to grow as professionals and build leadership skills to expand their impact in the classroom, within their school or the Breakthrough network.
- Support the school's mission, philosophies, values, goals, and policies toward students, parents/guardians, and coworkers.
- Design and effectively deliver developmentally appropriate curriculum and instruction which reflects observations and goals of individual children.
- Establish a classroom culture of high expectations that includes college preparation for all students.
- Work with the faculty and school leadership to frequently examine student data for ongoing refinement of instruction and assessment.
- Share best practices with other teachers and collaborate with them to improve instructional and assessment practices.
- Facilitate regular parent/guardian communications and conferences to discuss student progress.
- Keep the classroom environment organized, attractive and safe.
- Interact frequently and respectfully with students.
SKILLS AND CHARACTERISTICS OF A SUCCESSFUL BREAKTHROUGH TEACHER:
- Passionate about urban education and our mission
- Highly qualified in the content area and/or grade level
- Uses data to drive instruction
- Maintain a professional attitude
- Receptive to feedback and desire to grow professionally
- Has the work ethic and desire to go above and beyond
- Highly organized
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree
- Valid OH teaching certificate/license or must be in the process of obtaining a valid OH teaching certificate/license in subject area to be taught
OUR EDUCATIONAL MODELS:
We offer students and teachers three distinct educational approaches to choose from and thrive in:
- Our Citizens model (Grades K-5) sets high academic expectations for their students while they learn to become responsible citizens. Virtues like responsibility, courage, and perseverance are integrated into classroom lessons and school culture.
- Our Preparatory model (Grades K-8) has motivating school-wide routines that create a culture where scholars believe they will succeed. Every teacher, student, and staff member commits to giving 100% in everything they do and focus on putting students on a path to college.
- Our Citizens Leadership Expeditionary model (Grades 6-8) enables students to learn in a hands-on environment grounded in interdisciplinary, long-term projects that emphasize civic engagement and social responsibility.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Compensation packages are competitive and commensurate with experience. Breakthrough Schools offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision, life and disability coverage. Employees are also eligible to participate in the State Teachers Retirement System of Ohio (STRS) or the School Employees Retirement System of Ohio (SERS).
Breakthrough Schools is an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Breakthrough Public Schools is a nationally recognized network that was rated best CMO network in Ohio by the 2017 CREDO study at Stanford University. Breakthrough Public Schools originated as a commitment to increase educational options for Cleveland families. In 2009, three of Cleveland’s top stand-alone public charter schools discovered the challenges of operating individually and decided that sharing administrative functions would help them operate more efficiently and serve more students. As a result, they formed Breakthrough Public Schools, a charter management organization, in 2010 with the mission to develop a growing network of distinctive school options that prepare Cleveland area students for success in life. Breakthrough manages core administrative responsibilities including human resources, finance, information technology, facilities, student recruitment, and marketing for schools within the network. In the 2020-21 school year, Breakthrough Public Schools will serve more than 3,600 K-8 students and is committed to setting them on an early pathway to lifelong success in school, college, and career. For more information, visit https://breakthroughschools.org/.