Job Title: Development Manager (North County)
Reports to: VP of Development & Corporate Relations
Under the direction of the VP of Development & Corporate Relations, the Development Manager directs the identification, research, cultivation and solicitation of special events in the North County Region. The person will oversee all assigned events and prepare correspondence, proposals and reports. This person will conduct face-to-face solicitations, involving Club executives and key volunteers, as appropriate. The position will include some weekend and evening hours.
Key Roles (Essential Responsibilities):
Assist with the planning and execution of club functions and special events including, but not limited to the following:
- Solicit monetary donations, underwriting and sponsorships
- Solicit In-Kind donations and sponsorships
- Cultivate potential prospects, develop proposals and conduct solicitations of donors to help underwrite expenses of special events, or donations of items for raffles and auctions
- Plan and execute assigned special events for the Boys & Girls Clubs of Palm Beach County from beginning to end
- Work closely with committees and other volunteers before, during and after event
- Supervise all volunteers before, during and after event
- Coordination of meetings when necessary
- Work with Director of Marketing to create press releases to be sent to all media regarding special events
- Work closely with sponsors, both corporate and media, to ensure contractual obligations are met.
- Negotiate contracts for event space, food, beverage and supplies
- Negotiate entertainment contracts for events and work with the entertainers prior to and during events.
- Develop sponsorship packages relating to each event, and distribute them to potential sponsors. Follow-up after the mailing to solicit their sponsorships.
- Ensure appropriate décor to meet with the quality expectation of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Palm Beach County
- Serve as liaison with vendors on event related matters
- Assist with managing on-site set up and clean-up for events
- Assist with design and set-up of event collateral material
- Take photographs, prepare and work with event photographers on needed shots, coordinate follow-up on same
- Prepare Income & Expense reports and track financial activity for events
- Coordinate thank you letters to all non-cash donations, i.e. auction items and sponsors
- Organize and coordinate auctions for events
- Ensure that every donor, volunteer, guest and participant of every event is thanked upon receipt of their donation.
- Create special events calendar on an annual basis.
- Evaluate overall results of events and recommend modifications or new approaches to support successful achievement of development goals.
- Control fund raising expenses related to events.
- Manage record keeping for donors, assuring effective administrative and operational support functions are in place.
- Develop strategic alliances with community leaders, donors and prospects.
- Increase visibility of Club programs, services and activities and maintain good public relations with donors and prospects.
- Maintain verbal and written contact with President/CEO, Vice Presidents, and Board of Directors, staff, and volunteers for the purpose of exchange of information and to coordinate activities.
- Maintain verbal and written contact with other donors, prospects and others for the purpose of exchanging information and ideas and for the purpose of fundraising.
- Drive and run errands as needed
- Attend Advisory Board meetings when needed
- Internal: Maintain close, daily contact with volunteers, staff and supervisor to receive/provide information and discuss issues.
- External: Maintain contact and build relationships with community groups, school external staff and volunteers, donors and others to recruit or to assist in resolving challenges. Identify, recruit and steward Club Advisory Board members.
Skills & Knowledge Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university preferred or equivalent combination of education, training and work experience
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
- Strong computer skills (Word, Excel, Access)
- Experience with auction software (i.e. BidPal) a plus
- Strong administrative and organizational skills
- Ability to function within specified time frames and under pressure
- High degree of flexibility to accommodate fluctuating work loads and work hours
- Valid Florida driver’s license – must be able to meet insurance requirements (drive to events, different Club sites and Administrative Office and/or off-site meetings/trainings as required for the position).