Works with the CEO and Board to plan and execute resource development
strategies and monitor progress against goals. Supports the CEO in
positioning the Board to cultivate and solicit major gifts and grants from
individuals, corporations, foundations, government agencies, and others to
generate consistent and adequate operating revenue to support the Club’s mission
and deepen its impact upon Oakland students.
Responsibilities: Contribute to obtaining financial support and positive results including:
1. Designs, plans, and implements in concert with the CEO and Board, single and multi-year resource development efforts;
2. Research and analyze agency, corporate, individual, and foundation donor bases and recommends solicitation strategies;
3. Provide analytical and statistical information regarding the BGCO database as needed or requested to support the organization’s various appeals and development endeavors;
4. Prepare and present for approval, proposals and solicitation materials targeting individuals, businesses, foundations, governmental agencies, and organizations to secure financial support of BGCO’s mission; submitting funding requests in sufficient numbers and frequency to meet BGCO’s resource development objectives;
5. Attends to logistics of events including obtaining sponsorships, soliciting gifts, and preparing related printed materials and publications;
6. Provide support for various fund raising projects/initiatives as assigned by the CEO, such as the Annual Youth Fund Campaign (AYF) and its various plan elements, major gift solicitation, donor acquisition, and endowment acquisition;
7. Oversee the staffing activities of the Advancement Department including the recruitment, screening, selection, training, supervision, coaching, and performance evaluation of both paid (direct reports) and volunteer staff and consultants;
8. Control fundraising expenses related to the various facets of the AYF;
9. Continuously develop methods for expanding existing individual, foundation and corporate donor bases through use of best practices in donor acquisition; multi-media research; nonprofit resource libraries; invitations for on-site tours (to key foundation/corporate decision-makers); web solicitations; phone solicitations; and other effective donor relations and engagement techniques.
Qualifications: l Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university;
· A minimum five year’s development/advancement/fund raising work experience, preferably with a nonprofit organization; i.e. a Boys & Girls Club;
· Considerable knowledge of fund raising techniques, and identifying new sources of funding for nonprofit agencies and organizations—youth development preferred;
· Ability to coordinate fund raising operations;
· Ability to recruit, screen, train, deploy, supervise, develop, and motivate staff and volunteers.
· Strong oral and written communication skills;
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Club staff; Board members; volunteers; community groups; and related agencies.
· Experience and proficiency with relational databases; The Raiser’s Edge a plus;
· Self-starter; proactive; strong decision making skills; strong attention to details; able to set and maintain high personal standards; concern for accuracy and effectiveness; strong decision making skills;
· Valid State Driver License.
· Ability to pass a background check.
Employment Status: Full Time, Exempt
Salary Range: Please include your salary requirements in your cover letter
(Actual starting salary within range depends upon experience)
Benefit Package: 100% coverage of:
Medical (w/dependent care) Dental & Vision Coverage
Paid Vacation, Holidays, Sick Leave Long Term Disability
Life Insurance Pension Training
Application: Along with your cover letter and resume, include answers to these two questions:
1. What motivates you?
a. Job Requirements
2. Did you ever play a sport? If so, which sport and for how long? If not, what team activities have you been a part of?
Please send to: DDuplessis@BGCOakland.org
~ Boys & Girls of Oakland is an equal opportunity employer ~