Club/Office Location: Gates Camp
BGCMD is currently hiring an Assistant Director to live and work at Gates Camp between the dates of May 15th and July 28th. BGCMD operates a residential summer program where under-served inner city youth, ages 8 to 13, attend 5 day/4 night, low cost, and in many cases, no cost, sessions. Kids/Campers participate in hiking, canoeing, sleeping under the stars, fishing, rock climbing, archery, hands-on games, and other outdoor activities. The Gates Camp program inspires kids to explore new ideas, develop a connection with the environment, work as a community, and support one another in the achievement of their personal potential.
BGCMD requires the following of the Assistant Director:
• Employees must be at least 21 years of age
• Minimum of 1 year previous camp experience or relevant educational studies or volunteer experience
• Ability to pass pre-employment screenings including drug test, which does test for marijuana, criminal background check, references and Department of Motor Vehicle records check
The Assistant Director must also:
• Be responsible for the Gates Camp program including, but not limited to, developing and monitoring schedules, and instituting instructional methodologies that ensure high quality program implementation
• Train, supervise and evaluate Program Staff
• Oversee weekly Program Staff duties and adherence to schedules
• Ensure that Federal, State and County, licensing requirements are met or exceeded
• Work in concert with the Camp’s Director, Administrative Assistant as well Denver based Club Directors
• Collaborate with entire camp staff including Operations Staff (Healthcare Professional Food Service Staff and Caretaker)
• Teach and lead recreational and educational activities; provide direct service to youth
• Be able to manage conflict situations, that involve youth and/or Program Staff, appropriately; facilitate resolutions and/or provide disciplinary action if necessary
• Have excellent social and communication skills
• Be certified or willing to get certified in First Aid and CPR
• Create and adhere to schedules
• Maintain a healthy and safe environment for Campers and Program Staff
• Complete and file various forms of paperwork (i.e. incident reports, cabin rosters, camper registration, etc.)
• Adhere to and maintain Camp/BGCMD policies and Standard Operating Procedures
• Support the opening of Camp at the beginning of the season and closing of Camp at the end of the season
• Perform all other duties as assigned by the Camp Director
Physical Requirements/ Work Environment
The successful candidate must be able to work at high altitude (at or above 9,000 ft), walk long distances on uneven terrain, have stamina to work through long days and evenings, and have the ability to perform basic maintenance functions. Camp employees may at times have to lift up to and over 50lbs.
Job Related Behaviors
Gates Camp employees are team players and must be trustworthy, punctual and flexible; each team member must follow through on commitments, respond in a timely manner to requests, exhibit problem solving skills and initiative, communicate effectively and follow proper reporting procedures. The right candidate is dedicated to the Mission of the organization and strives to uphold BGCMD’s Core Values.
The information presented herein indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain or to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives of employees assigned to this job.
Status: Seasonal, May 15th – July 28th (11 weeks term of service)
Hours: 5 day a week commitment
Pay Range: $4,400 - $6050 for the season plus a $500 bonus upon successful completion of the program
Benefits: Position includes room and board for the duration of the term of service
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title in the subject line of the e-mail.
This position will remain open until filled.