Senior Art Director, Globe Magazine
The Boston Globe is hiring a senior art director to lead the visual design of the Globe Magazine. This is a critical role overseeing the look, feel, and tone of one of the most distinctive and highly designed aspects of our publication.
The ideal candidate has experience working in magazines and digital media, commissioning and art-directing illustrations and photography, with a portfolio that shows off high-level skills in design, typography and visual storytelling. They will be excited about creating style guides, championing brand consistency, and driving visuals for a variety of content.
This person will be comfortable working under the deadlines of a busy newsroom and able to envision magazine design on both digital and print platforms. When needed, the candidate should also be comfortable creating design branding and photo illustrations. We want to make the visual voice of the Boston Globe truly special — a creative reflection of Boston — and are looking for an energetic collaborator to join our team.
- Generate clear ideas and concepts in tandem with the editorial team
- Create multiplatform designs for both print and digital
- Produce sketches, storyboards, roughs to visualize ideas
- Understand marketing initiatives, strategic positioning and target audience
- Collaborate with the rest of the creative team across different types of media
- Take work from concept to final execution within deadlines
- Manage and delegate responsibilities to other designers and provide direction
- Present completed ideas to team members
- Stay on top of all trends and maintain best practices
- Maintain budgets and deadlines: The art director will work within budgets and set deadlines for the team. Responsibilities include knowing the progress of a magazine on a macro level while still giving creative input and setting deadlines for individual features and projects.
- Manage other designers: The art director will manage associate designers on staff as well as freelancers, all while designing features, covers, and packages for the publication.
- Set overall design: From signing off on cover art to approving the page layout design for features, the art director’s decisions impact all visual aspects of the magazine. Individual artists and graphic designers are responsible for assigned features within a magazine, but it is the art director’s job to make sure the overall magazine has a cohesive aesthetic. The art director is likely to have many ambitious projects to manage every publication cycle.
- Art direct/create digital content: Looking for someone who can execute a vision for how online readers can engage with the magazine's visual journalism. The candidate should have a deep understanding of web design and audience and be able to ensure the magazine's work shines across every platform including desktop, mobile and social.
- Proven working experience as Art Director
- Hands on experience with logo design, typography, color, web layout design, print production and image selection
- Proficient use of InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator or other visual design and wire-framing tools
- Demonstrable graphic design skills with a strong portfolio
- Incorporate feedback and take/give direction well
- Team player with strong communication and presentation skills
- Relevant education or training
- Comfort working with libraries like D3 and Leaflet, and mapping software like Mapbox
- Familiarity with Webpack configuration and Gatsby is a plus.
- Experience with GitHub and a general understanding of Git-based workflows.
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
- Should think like product designers since they determine how things function, as well as how they look.
- Social media has given magazines a larger audience, so good directors think global and multi-platform.
- Art direction needs to tap into the skills of journalists, photographers and graphic designers.
The BGMP office is located in downtown Boston, near Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market, and is easily accessible by MBTA and commuter rail lines. This position is based in Boston, and candidates should be based in the area or willing to relocate. We work in a hybrid model: 3 days in the office, 2 days remote.
At Boston Globe Media, our mission is to empower, connect, and convene our communities with independent, trusted journalism and storytelling. We know a critical part to achieve this is by having a workforce that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive - like the communities we serve. Boston Globe Media is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes candidates and colleagues of all backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and skills.
Powered by JazzHR
Boston Globe Media PartnersBoston, MA
Arts and Entertainment
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.