Busy Nephrology practice located near the Medical Center is seeking an experienced, self-sufficient Medical Assistant. Ideal candidate will have superior attention to detail and have excellent customer service skills. Full-time position with health insurance, vacation and 401(k). No weekends. Travel several times a week REQUIRED. Experience in a specialty practice such as nephrology, oncology, gastroenterology, cardiology, endocrinology, hematology, or pulmonology helpful.
The Medical Assistant functions under the direction and supervision of the Office Manager, providing safe and effective patient care. The Medical Assistant greets patients; schedules appointments; maintains records and assists in the overall coordination of patient care. The Medical Assistant has direct responsibility to ensure that all care performed and tasks delegated are provided in accordance with this clinic's policies and procedures as well as state and federal regulations.
- Applies assessment, planning, implementation/intervention and evaluation to meet individual patient and facility needs. Follows all patient specific and facility level policies, procedures and regulations.
- Verifies patient information by interviewing patient; recording medical history; confirming purpose of visit.
- Prepares patients for examination by performing preliminary physical tests; taking blood pressure, weight, and temperature; reporting patient history summary.
- Welcomes patients and visitors by greeting patients and visitors, in person or on the telephone; answering or referring inquiries.
- Optimizes patients' satisfaction, provider time, and treatment room utilization by scheduling appointments in person or by telephone.
- Keeps patient appointments on schedule by notifying provider of patient's arrival; reviewing service delivery compared to schedule; reminding provider of service delays.
- Comforts patients by anticipating patients' anxieties; answering patients' questions; maintaining the reception area.
- Ensures availability of treatment information by filing and retrieving patient records.
- Maintains patient accounts and obtains revenue by obtaining, recording, and updating personal and financial information; recording and collecting patient charges; controlling credit extended to patients; filing, collecting, and expediting third-party claims.
- Maintains business office inventory and equipment by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies; scheduling equipment service and repairs.
- Protects patients' rights by maintaining confidentiality of personal and financial information.
- Maintains operations by following policies and procedures; reporting needed changes.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
- Saves physician/nurse practitioner's time by helping with office procedures
- Secures patient information and maintains patient confidence by completing and safeguarding medical records; completing diagnostic coding and procedure coding; keeping patient information confidential.
- Counsels patients by transmitting physician's orders and questions about surgery.
- Schedules procedures and verifies times with patients, prepares charts, pre-admission and consent forms.
- Maintains safe, secure, and healthy work environment by establishing and following standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
- Keeps equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling for repairs.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications.
- Serves and protects the practice by adhering to professional standards, policies and procedures, federal, state, and local requirements.
- Enhances practice reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.