System Executive Medical Director Orthopaedic Surgery & Sports Med
Rochester Regional Health, a large integrated health system in Rochester, NY is seeking an accomplished forward thinking orthopaedic surgeon for the Senior Leadership role of System Executive Medical Director, Orthopaedic Surgery & Sports Medicine. In this highly selective search the successful candidate will have responsibility for comprehensive orthopaedic surgery and sports medicine services for this award-winning healthcare organization. The System Executive Medical Director role is an exceptional opportunity for an outstanding and dynamic orthopaedic surgery leader with a distinguished background in clinical care and proven results in service line management who is driven to leave a legacy of excellence for generations to come.
The System Executive Medical Director, Orthopaedic Surgery & Sports Medicine will have broad responsibilities to lead the strategic, clinical, and operational activities of his/her department and service line within the context of the RRH goals and priorities. This is an ideal opportunity to lead a premier orthopaedic surgery and sports medicine team building on its excellent reputation, demonstrated track record for quality patient services, and dominant market share in the region. Candidates will support and promote the Rochester Regional Health mission to enhance lives and preserve health by enabling access to a comprehensive, fully integrated network of the highest quality and most affordable care, delivered with kindness, integrity, and respect.
Be inspired by your work each day and further your career with a progressive and collaborative healthcare organization. Rochester Regional Health values and embraces a culture of constant improvement that continues to deliver profound medical advances, technological innovation and exceptional quality of patient care. We offer a fulfilling opportunity within a fully integrated culture of personalized care that’s highly responsive and community-driven.
About Rochester Regional Health
Rochester Regional Health (RRH), a nearly $3 billion independent regional health system, is a leading provider of comprehensive, compassionate care for Western New York, the Finger Lakes Region, and New York State’s North Country. The Rochester Regional Health network consists of more than 17,000 physicians and staff who provide care at over 150 locations, including 9 hospitals and hundreds of outpatient facilities and physician clinics. Rochester Regional Health cares for more than 1 million patients annually throughout 13 local regions. It has primary and specialty practices; rehabilitation centers; ambulatory campuses and immediate care facilities; innovative senior services, facilities, and independent housing; a wide range of behavioral health services; Rochester Regional Health Laboratories; and ACM Global Laboratories, a global leader in patient and clinical trials. As the Rochester region’s second-largest employer, RRH is built on a foundation of sound fiscal management that empowers the system to provide a broad spectrum of resources with a commitment to innovation.
- Accountable for developing fully integrated services that are clinically interconnected across the continuum of care and transitions of care by standard policies, procedures, metrics, reporting and other necessary elements.
- Work with a diverse group of stakeholders, including system administrative and physician leaders to expand, improve, and strengthen the Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine Sports service line operations, functions, programs and integrated clinics/practice settings across the local hospital and health system.
- Responsible to set standards and expectations of quality, patient safety and other important outcomes for the service line.
- Exemplifies emotional maturity in his/her behavior and holds all service line members to the same standard.
- Application of effective leadership over both departmental functions and clinical service line development.
- Lead strategic, clinical and operational activities, and financial performance levels within the hospitals and health systems goals and priorities.
- Ability to work successfully in a matrix management model.
- Rochester General Hospital, the flagship hospital of RRH and a 528-bed tertiary care facility with a medical and dental staff of 1,500 is home to a number of centers of excellence including the Sands-Constellation Center for Critical Care, Lipson Cancer Institute, B. Thomas Golisano Pavilion and Emergency Department, The Louise and Henry Epstein Family Pediatric & Young Adult Emergency Services for Children and Young Adults, and more
- Award-winning health system that has achieved numerous awards including the Top 1 percent in the nation for providing the highest clinical quality year after year by Healthgrades. Recognized with America’s 50 Best Hospitals Award three years running: 2021, 2022, and 2023 and is a national leader with the most Beacon Awards from the American Association of Critical Care Nurses currently with 26 awards across the system
- One of the busiest emergency departments with more than 280,000 visits per year
- Musculoskeletal Service Line includes over 40 Orthopaedic Surgeons, the majority of whom are fellowship-trained
- Personalized and comprehensive bone and joint care at over 30 locations
- Large primary care and referral base throughout a 12-county catchment area
- Modernized operating rooms & advanced surgical technology (robotics/navigation) available at all facilities
- Full complement of dedicated orthopaedic advanced practice providers
- Comprehensive sports medicine program and team of expert providers that includes athletic trainers, exercise physiologists, neuropsychologists, nurses, nutritionists, physical therapists, primary care sports medicine physicians, and sports medicine orthopaedic surgeons
- Ambulatory Surgery Centers now offering same day, Outpatient Total Joint Replacement
- Education. Rochester Regional Health supports many different training programs system-wide, including residencies, fellowships, nursing programs, community growth opportunities, and more. RRH sponsors Residency and Fellowship programs that are accredited by the ACGME.
- Research. The Research Institute at Rochester General Hospital, a not-for-profit organization with expert, dedicated researchers who conduct vital clinical and translational research that contributes to advancements in healthcare and medical science. The Research Institute also draws on alliances with world-class medical and scientific institutions such as Rochester Institute of Technology, Cleveland Clinic, and Roswell Park Cancer Institute.
As a key physician leader with Rochester Regional Health, you’ll play a major role in delivering world-class care while helping drive innovative changes that shape the future of healthcare. We’re committed to providing you with a full range of professional advantages and comprehensive benefits that recognize and reward your contributions to include:
- A highly competitive and guaranteed base salary with incentives
- Generous bonuses to include sign-on bonus
- Paid medical malpractice insurance with full coverage
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Defined benefit pension plan, 403(b), 457(b)
- CME stipend and time off, generous vacation time
- Fully-funded corporate relocation package
- High caliber administrative and marketing support
Physician, M.D., D.O.
- MBA, MHA preferred
- Licensed in New York State or eligible for licensure in NYS
- Board Certified in Orthopaedic Surgery or Subspecialty of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Practicing medicine at least 40% of the time
- 5 years of experience as attending physician in clinical area of expertise
- 5 years of experience in program or departmental leadership
- High level of organizational skills to manage projects, timetables, and implementations
- High level of collaboration, team building, and inter-disciplinary skills needed to accomplish complex activities
- Advanced interpersonal skills to develop effective teams and manage, direct, and coordinate team activities
- Ability to influence, negotiate and motivate collaborators
- Must be able to positively communicate and work with professionals at all levels of the organization
Discover Greater Rochester–Located on the shores of Lake Ontario, historic Rochester, New York, is known for its vast selection of family-oriented activities and attractions. The third largest city in New York State, Rochester has a metro population of approximately 1.2 million, a cost of living that’s about 20 percent below the U.S. national average, one of the lowest commute times in the country, and its own international airport for easy travel. You can enjoy excellent shopping, incredible restaurants, brewpubs, nightlife, fine arts & entertainment, and 140 festivals a year. There are endless recreational options. The city is a premier golf destination. Golf.com has ranked Rochester as the #10 Best Golf City in the US, and #1 for Golf Affordability. Rochester is also a boating and beach paradise. There are several beautiful and accessible places in the city where you can put in or dock your human-powered, wind-powered, and motorized vessels, and experience the Genesee River, Erie Canal, and Lake Ontario. Fishing charters, yacht charters, sport fishing, and kayaking are all here for you. Ontario beach on Lake Ontario is an amazing 39-acre park containing one of the Great Lake’s best natural and sand beaches. Great neighborhoods are also available. There’s a tremendous selection of homes in rural, suburban and downtown locales, as well as excellent public schools, private schools and institutes of higher learning. Newsweek and U.S. News and World Report consistently rank many of Rochester’s public high schools among the best in the nation.
Rochester’s central location in Western New York provides residents with a short drive to such destinations as the Niagara Falls, the Finger Lakes region and the Adirondack Mountains. It’s a quick 30-minute ride to the Finger Lakes region, known for its beautiful scenery, lakeside cottages, and great wine! Big cities, including New York, Toronto and Boston are also within a day’s drive. Come see why Rochester is a fun, affordable, and welcoming city. The people in Rochester are generally happy, friendly, and warm. So much so, that Neighbor.com recently voted Rochester, NY the most neighborly city in the USA. “Neighborly” weighs factors such as generosity, lending hands to neighbors, non-profits, parks, and the happiness and well-being of residents to name a few. Considering how many cities there are in the country, the fact that Rochester was ranked number one should be telling that everyone is welcome here. Come experience a better quality of life. Come to Rochester!
Rochester Regional Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran.
For Confidential Inquiry, qualified candidates may submit their curriculum vitae and letter of interest to:
Jane E. Born, C.E.O.
Born & Bicknell, Inc.
7000 W. Palmetto Park Rd. Suite 210
Boca Raton, FL 33433
Born & Bicknell, Inc
100 Kings Highway SouthRochester, NY
Explore similar jobsMore Jobs Like This
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.