Online Tutor - BookNook (remote)
- Posted: over a month ago
- $18 Hourly
BookNook is closing the early-learning gap for kids in grades K – 8 through pairing dedicated tutors with proven technology to teach the reading and math skills kids need to succeed. School districts across 35 states entrust BookNook tutors and technology with the job of supporting their students who need it most. By providing a learning platform based on 30+ years of research and outcomes and offering high-frequency tutoring, BookNook propels schools to achieve academic results that are unparalleled in the industry.
About the Role
BookNook is looking for passionate, equity-minded educators to join our tutoring community as independent contractors. Tutors will be on the front lines of closing the early-learning gap, working directly with K – 8 students in live, synchronous, online tutoring sessions.
We value diversity of all kinds, and seek to build a team of tutors that is representative of the students we serve.
As a BookNook tutor, you will teach reading or math online to groups of 1 - 4 students. You will use BookNook’s learning platform and curriculum, which guide you through lessons and show student performance in real time. You will meet consistently with the same students each week so you can build relationships that support student learning and development.
Who are you?
You are passionate about working with all kinds of learners. You love seeing a child’s eyes light up when they master a new concept. You’re skilled at tailoring your teaching to different learning styles and needs. Every child feels your joy as you see it as a privilege to be able to show up and be present in the lives of your students.
You excel at building meaningful connections with students from diverse racial, cultural, and economic backgrounds. You value the cultural assets, knowledge, and lived experiences that each child brings to tutoring sessions. You make learning meaningful by connecting it to students’ lives.
You approach challenges with a growth mindset. Whether it’s a tech issue or a student struggling to master academic content, you are creative, resourceful, flexible, and resilient in the face of obstacles, setbacks, and unexpected events.
You are an engaging and dynamic teacher. You know just what to do when students look away from the screen or indicate that they are bored, stuck, or disengaged from the lesson. You have multiple tricks up your sleeve that can re-engage even the most reluctant learners.
You empower students to build on their strengths. You see the brilliance in every child, enjoy celebrating their progress, and commit to supporting them through both challenges and successes.
You are tech savvy. You may not be the head of IT, but technology is your friend. You quickly find workarounds when faced with glitches, and aren’t daunted by simultaneously navigating Zoom, our learning platform, and multiple students with different learning needs.
You’re inspired by BookNook’s mission and purpose. You believe in the power of innovative technology and engaging curriculum combined with the personalized touch of a dedicated tutor.
What are we looking for?
- Educators with a passion for working with K – 8 students from diverse educational, racial, economic, geographic, and cultural backgrounds
- Experience teaching or tutoring - we welcome experienced educators as well as those just getting started. All tutors must meet at least one of these minimum requirements: 3+ years teaching or tutoring OR 1 year teaching or tutoring and a bachelor’s degree OR 1 year teaching or tutoring and current enrollment in a teaching credential program
- Enthusiasm for teaching reading and/or math
- Comfort and experience tutoring online and using technology
- Eligibility to work in the United States (US citizens or residents)
- Location: Remote
- Compensation: $18 - $22 per hour, with opportunities for bonuses
- Schedule: Each tutoring contract will offer a consistent weekly schedule and students; contracts are seasonal and available year-round
- Curriculum: A proven technology platform that guides you through lessons and shows student performance in real time
Our Application Process
- Application Process: The application questions are set up to allow us to get to know you, match your specific qualifications against the qualifications for the role, and allow us to understand our Tutor community better.
- Initial Application Review: We review these questions against our minimum requirements for a Tutor, and you will hear from us within 5 business days of us receiving your application.
- Interview Process: We conduct interviews through Spark Hire, a one way video interview platform. We like using this instead of typical 1:1 video interviews, to allow you to: prepare by having time to think about our questions, do the interview on your own time schedule, see the BookNook platform in real time, and showcase your skills through a teaching demonstration.
- Final Decisions: After your Spark Hire video interview is submitted, we will review your interview and you will receive notification of our hiring decision within 5 business days.
- Being Placed as a Tutor: We are currently building our Tutor community and piloting Tutor engagements in school districts around the country. Placements will be limited starting in March 2022 but will continue to grow throughout the year. Being selected as a BookNook Online Tutor does not guarantee immediate or consistent tutoring work, but you will be able to opt into Tutoring placements regularly as we grow.
We are excited that you are interested in applying to be a BookNook Online Tutor. Thank you in advance! Our team looks forward to getting to know you better through the application process.
BookNook is on a mission to ensure equitable access to rigorous and engaging instruction through technology innovation
BookNookWhy Work Here?
Join BookNook and you'll be part of team working to ensure all kids have equitable access to rigorous and engaging instruction.
After building a national children’s literacy nonprofit with a strong base of evidence, our founder launched BookNook out of the belief that only through technology can rigorous programs truly scale. After a small pilot in the San Francisco Bay Area in 2016, BookNook has quickly spread across hundreds of schools and after-school programs, throughout dozens of states. BookNook is on a mission to ensure equitable access to rigorous and engaging instruction through technology innovation
AddressNew York, NY
EducationView all jobs at BookNook