Counsel - Regulatory
Bolthouse Farms Bakersfield, CA
- Posted: October 08, 2021
- Start a conversation and schedule an interview by texting “Carrots” to 661-403-4866.
- Inicie una conversación y programe una entrevista enviando un mensaje de texto “Zanahorias” a 661-403-4866.
- This position will report to the: Director- Lead Counsel, Marketing & Innovation
- Department: Legal
- Location: Remote with periodic travel to Bakersfield required. California based strongly preferred.
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Shift: 1st Shift
- Employment Category: Full time
PLANTS. POWERING. PEOPLE.
For more than a century, Bolthouse Farms has been known as the innovation leader in growing and distributing carrots and high-quality, innovative branded products. Employing more than 2,200 people and headquartered in Bakersfield in California’s fertile San Joaquin Valley, Bolthouse Farms is one of the largest carrot growers and distributors in the U.S. Guided by its purpose – Plants Powering People™ – the company recently introduced its new Bolthouse Farms Wunderoots™ line of fresh carrot innovations including carrot dogs, and also produces and sells super-premium juices, smoothies, café beverages, protein shakes, functional beverages and premium refrigerated dressings, all under the Bolthouse Farms® brand name. Visit Bolthouse Farms or follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
WHAT YOU’LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR IN THIS ROLE
Work closely with Marketing, R&D, Operations, Quality and Food Safety teams to provide legal counsel and advice on regulatory compliance, food law issues, claim substantiation, and labeling claims necessary for successful product development and commercialization.
- Participate in new product launches by providing regulatory expertise on product formulation and naming, package design, labeling and claims development.
- Review and approve regulatory and nutrition components of final packaging artwork, label copy, marketing, advertising, including company website, promotional, and educational materials for substantiation and compliance. Familiarity with FTC and other relevant advertising guidelines a plus.
- Ensure all labels and relevant finished and existing product materials are compliant and accurate, according to FDA and current legislation.
- Oversee management of all product labels across all business units, changes to label content, nutrition test results, and related documentation to meet records retention requirements.
- Collaborate with internal teams to develop and implement central food safety, quality and regulatory processes, policies, and best practices at a company-wide level.
- Track, monitor, and advise the business on federal and state food related regulatory activities.
- Advise the business on FDA compliance, including FSMA, facility inspections, enforcement actions, product recalls, and food safety related matters such as GFSi, GRAS, Prop 65, pesticide residues, and packaging assessments.
- Support food risk and audit programs.
- Manage direct report(s) to support key initiatives within department and cross-functional teams.
- Conduct routine risk assessments, and crisis management with food safety incidents as required.
- Oversee import/export compliance and ingredient approval processes.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- JD from an ABA accredited law school.
- Member of the California state bar in good standing or licensed in any state with the ability to be registered in-house counsel in California.
- 5-7 years in food and beverage industry or pharmaceutical industry.
- BS in food science, nutrition, or similar a plus.
Additional Required Qualifications:
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Demonstrated team player with strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Excellent program management skills and ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously.
- Expert ability to evaluate and assess risks quickly and make decisions in the face of food safety, regulatory, and quality challenges with minimal supervision.
- Strong knowledge of food science and nutrition concepts, with background in dietetics or nutritional sciences preferred.
- During the course of the COVID-19 pandemic, we recognize that certain “non-essential worker” personnel may at times store consumer-facing materials (including, but not limited to, EADs, coupons, promotional materials, etc.) offsite from Company locations, such as at associates’ homes or in vehicles. All such consumer-facing materials must be maintained in a smoke-free and secure workplace environment.
WHAT WE OFFER
Our rich benefits packages are designed to support the health and well-being of both our eligible co-workers and their families.
- Group Life and AD&D
- Voluntary Life and AD&D
- Group Short-Term Disability
- Group Long-Term Disability
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid Time Off
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a culturally diverse organization. We strive for inclusiveness and a workplace where mutual respect is paramount. We encourage applications from a diverse pool of candidates, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, or veteran status. We will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities, as need, to assist them in performing essential job functions.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. If you are interested in applying for employment with Bolthouse Farms and need special assistance to apply for a posted position, or if you believe you do not meet any of the required qualifications of a posted position due to a protected disability and would like to explore the possibility of an accommodation, please contact our Talent Acquisition team at: TalentAcquisition@bolthouse.com for additional support and guidance.
Bolthouse Farms does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Bolthouse Farms is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
LegalView all jobs at Bolthouse Farms