Boies Schiller Flexner LLP is an international law firm consistently ranked among the top firms in the U.S., and is currently seeking a Legal Secretary to join our team, located in downtown Washington, DC.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned to meet the Firm’s needs.
· Familiar with local, state and federal court rules and prepare manual and electronic filings in each, including summons, complaints, motions and subpoenas. Preparation of filings may include proofing, editing, copying.
· Call court clerks to reserve hearing dates and verify pertinent dates.
· Communicate with clients as needed by the attorney.
· Request hearing transcripts and transcripts on appeal.
· Draft correspondence and routine notices and subpoenas for attorney approval.
· Prepare for depositions by arranging for personal service, reserving court reporter/videographer and conference rooms.
· Handle document productions and maintaining electronic productions.
· Maintain electronic matter files in the system.
· Finalize and serve pleadings, discovery and other documents via email, U.S. mail, overnight mail or personal service.
· Perform scheduling, calendaring and meeting planning.
· Coordinate calendaring in matters with the legal team.
· Distribute documents to team on each matter as needed.
· Monitor matters on court dockets as requested, through Pacer and other court online dockets.
· Obtain ECF login and passwords for attorneys from the courts.
· Conduct internet research as requested.
· Trial preparation and support as needed.
· Help create New Business Memoranda (NBM’s) for new cases for attorney approval.
· Initiate files for records department.
· Set up electronic folders for new matters.
· Ensure receipt of fee agreement with new client and provide original to billing department.
· Handle attorney travel arrangements.
· Create and submit attorney expense reports.
· Make copies, send faxes, scan, email, copy CD’s, and all other general office duties as needed.
· Other tasks as needed by the attorneys.
· Must have law firm experience
· Strong time management and exceptional ability to prioritize
· Excellent verbal communication skills
· Able to work effectively and productively with minimal supervision
· Detail oriented, thorough and accurate
· Knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), document management and case management software (e.g., NetDocuments, Elite)
· Professional appearance
Eligible employees can participate in the firm’s benefit offerings including medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, a 401(k) plan, and more.
Boies Schiller Flexner LLP is an equal opportunity employer, which does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin or ancestry, religion, age, sex, disability, medical condition, sexual preference or orientation, marital or familial status, veteran's status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal laws, rules or regulations. The Firm's policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment. It is the Firm’s policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and compensate the best qualified individuals based only upon relevant factors such as experience, work quality and professional attitude.