The type of work involved includes primarily public infrastructure in the mid-Atlantic and Southeast:
- Bridge and underground concrete structures (excluding building construction).
- Foundation (pile, caisson, etc.)
- Earth moving operations
- Utility construction for both DOT and public utility
- Marine based construction
Work is both traditional design-bid-build and design build. Duties will likely consist heavily of work on design-build projects, including assisting in the selection of projects to pursue, creation of technical proposals and generation of compliant cost estimate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Directs and participates in obtaining quotes for materials and subcontractor participation, including generating the required minority and disadvantaged business plan necessary to meet the project requirements.
- Reviews, understands and incorporates project historical data to assist in determining appropriate equipment and labor requirements and production costs
- Develops the Risk/Contingency factors and assists with the evaluation of potential costs and contingencies for bidding purposes
- Leads the development of a compliant MBE/DBE plan for subcontractors and suppliers that meets the Commercially Useful Function requirements of the owner and the project specifications
- Presents and assists in reviewing the bid and technical proposal details with company senior management and ownership prior to bid submission.
- Participates and directs generation of required bid documentation, close-out process and submission of bid to project owner.
- Participates in design meetings with the design team on design-build projects to help generate plans and technical proposal details needed to create an accurate cost estimate and compliant proposal.
- Participates with JV partners in bid preparation and bid review as both lead and secondary partner
- Participates in design review and project cost review meetings for on-going work to provide input on means and methods and provide continuity from estimating to design to construction
- Conducts special studies to develop and establish standard hour and related cost data or effect cost reductions.
- Works with the company centralized cost estimating software (B2W), champions the overall company estimating process and is willing to assist with improvements and refinements needed in that process
- Analyzes completed projects to compare estimated costs to actual costs and determine the reason for any discrepancies.
- Identifies cost trends to assist management in cost reduction and process improvement efforts.
Supervisory Responsibilities This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or Experience
- Language Skills
- Computer Skills
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected.
Company offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, flex spending, short-term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid time off and a 401K plan with company match and profit sharing.