Plans and directs civil engineering projects such as roads, bridges, and pipelines. The Project Engineer works with the Superintendent to develop a dynamic relationship co-responsible for total contract performance and profitability.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Analyzes and understands plans and specifications.
2. Knows administrative procedures as outlined in Project Administration Manual.
3. Possesses field expertise: inspects construction site to monitor progress and ensure conformance to engineering plans, specifications, and construction and safety standards.
4. Proficient with CPM scheduling program; produces accurate schedules as needed.
5. Supervises and coordinates submittal process and working drawings requirements.
6. Prepares or directs preparation and modification of reports, specifications, plans, environmental impact studies, and designs for project as necessary
7. Provides Contract interpretation and clarification.
8. Communicates in clear and professional manner both verbally and in writing with job team and owners.
9. Maintains and updates project schedules;
a. Updates monthly schedules with assistance of Project Superintendent.
b. Assists Project Superintendent with weekly two week look ahead schedule review.
10. Understands cost and productivity data.
11. Maintains, verifies, and reports cost and income quantities for work performed.
12. Reviews, approves, and submits progress billings.
13. Analyzes, prepares, maintains and monitors job costs and production budgets.
14. Works with Superintendent to control job costs and production budgets.
15. Prepares and submits accurate and timely monthly cost, income, and cash flow projections.
16. Executes and approves subcontractor requisitions and vendor invoices.
17. Coordinates, prices and assists Project Manager in settlement of change orders and claims.
18. Responds to issues quickly; proactive in problem solving; handles multiple tasks.
19. Manages time and organizes office and filing system efficiently; organizes and maintains accurate project correspondence files.
20. Maintains Subcontractor insurance certificate compliance.
21. Maintains project compliance with underground utility notifications and locations (i.e. Miss Utility and others).
22. Promotes and participates in 2 week and long range planning with job team; includes job team in all planning.
23. Treats all coworkers with respect; works well with subs and suppliers.
24. Consistently applies and enforces Safety Policy at all times.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Civil Engineering or Construction Management degree (B. S.) from four-year college or university and 3 – 5 years engineering work experience. Computer literate: proficient with spreadsheet and word processing programs, proficient with CPM scheduling programs such as Primavera Project Planner. Understanding of and experience using cost and productivity data. Must have experience in bridge work.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business reports, correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is exposed to moving mechanical parts and heavy construction equipment; fumes, or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Computer Operating Systems, Project Management software, spreadsheet software and word processing software. Microsoft Office software, CPM scheduling program – P6 (Primavera Project Planner).
Company offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, flex spending, short-term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid time off and a 401K plan with company match and profit sharing.